Chapter Twenty Four

Start from the beginning

I push my tongue against the back of my teeth when I notice the pattern of people within the room. The basketball team are together, and the remaining people have been split with only one friend to share with two students they don't spend time with.

"William Henderson, Hunter Kings, and Ian Piermont, room one-five-seven." The two boys nod in approval at each other, and Ian grabs the key from Coach. They're unbelievably lucky.

"Becky Robertson, Mia Vanderwal, Kimberly Hall, and Lolita Brown." William and Hunter both turn their heads to me, and my face pales. "In room-one five-nine."

Coach seems proud of the choice. He often notes who classmates hate, and pairs them up in situations like this. He put Mia and I together on purpose.

I'm thankful the room is close to William's and Hunter's, meaning that is my ticket to an escape if I can't handle Mia and Kimberly.

I'm considering sleeping on the bus. Maybe if I run fast enough and hide, I can get away with it. I'd made all those jokes to Hunter about sharing a room with her, and karma has snuck up on me.

Becky snatches the key from Coach's hand and miserably drags her suitcase over to me. "I can't be held responsible if they push me far enough to kill them."

"I would probably help you." I take ahold of my own mint coloured bag. Mia and Kimberly stay in their spots with their glares projected our way. They completely ignore Natasha beside them who is complaining about not being in their room.

"I'll get rid of the body." William suddenly declares under his breath as he walks past Becky and I, joining Ian to go to towards their room. We snicker.

"Try not to miss me too much for the total of," Hunter pauses to look at the time on his phone, stepping in front of my vision, "forty minutes until you see me again."

"You're such a dork." I reach up and ruffle his already messy hair alike what the boys usually do to me. I am sick of fixing the mess, so I wanted to see what was so entertaining by ruining someone else's hair.

"Your dork."

"You spent four hours with her on a bus." William marches back to us and grabs Hunter's jacket sleeve. "You don't need to act like you're never going to see her again."

I laugh as I watch the blond drag him along and towards the stairs that lead to the second floor.

"What do I have to do to get a boyfriend like that?" Becky swoons, also watching the boys disappear.

I don't know how I got someone like Hunter. Sometimes I wonder if he hadn't lived next door and William didn't befriend him, would he and I end up the way we are now?

"Throw a milkshake at a guy, and he'll come around eventually." Her eyebrows shoot up. "Actually, don't. It'll create a lot of problems. It's a horrible idea."

Most of the students have already left to find their rooms, and slowly we do the same. "They need an elevator in this place." Becky groans while climbing the steep stairs.

I eye her suitcase that reminds me of William's. She too overpacked. "I don't think it's the stairs. I think it's your bag." Becky huffs at me.

Mia and Kimberly both stand still at the bottom of the stairs, looking around the carpark for what I think would be an elevator like we had done for a moment.

When Becky and I reach the second floor, the girls still are looking around and complaining that they can't get their bags upstairs- their bags which are the same size as Becky's small one.

"You watch, she'll get one of the guys to help her carry the bag." She bets, leaning against the railing to watch the girls amusingly. Mia takes out her phone and begins to call someone.