Chapter Nine

XXXXXXXXXX

Chapter Nine

XXXXXXXXXX

Lucy shifts Blake in her arms and looks at Camila who is feeding Remi. "Did she really tell you to just leave?"

Camila nodded. "Yeah. She didn't want to lose her kid but she doesn't want to see her. Dinah said something about Remi being the reason she kept going."

Nodding her head, Lucy moves over to Camila. "Maybe you should keep trying."

"Does she deserve it?" Camila asked. "She's not a good mom."

"Cami, no one is ever truly a good parent." The older girl responds.

Camila sighed. "I don't think she deserves it." She said. "Considering she told me to leave."

"Just give her another chance, you gotta think she was really upset. I mean she just lost custody of her daughter." Lucy says softly.

"I'll think about it." Camila said. "Why do you care anyway?" She asked.

Sighing, Lucy sits down and begins feeding Blake his bottle. "I care because how would you feel if I took Blake from you?"

"Hurt." Camila responded.

"And how would you feel if we went to court and you were raising Blake on your own but I told the judge how unfit you were?" The older girl asks, looking up at Camila.

"Hurt." Camila repeated.

Nodding, Lucy swallows thickly. "Now imagine that Blake was all you had because your family kicked you out and most of your friends don't know about him."

Camila swallowed and looked down. "She's not a good mom." Camila responded, standing up and taking a now sleeping Remi to her room.

Sighing, Lucy runs a hand through her hair.

****

Lauren lay curled up on her couch. She had barely slept or eaten. She missed Remi too much to eat and every time she tired to sleep she had a nightmare. She hadn't been to school at all. She didn't have the energy. Dinah had come round to try and get her to eat but couldn't get in because Lauren had locked her door. Lauren had barely moved from her spot on the couch.

A knock on the door catches her attention.

"Mommy!" Remi's soft voice calls through the door.

"Laur, open up." Camila calls out.

Lauren closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She shook her head. "I'm hearing things." She mumbled to herself.

Camila knocks harder. "Lauren, open the door. Your daughter wants you."

Lauren flinched. She opened her eyes and groaned as she rolled off the couch. She slowly walked over to the door.

"Mommy!" Remi yells excitedly as soon as she sees Lauren.

"What are you doing here?" Lauren asked Camila as she leaned against the wall, looking at Camila through the door which she had only half opened.

"Dinah called." The younger girl says in response.

"I'm not her responsibility... or yours. You can go home." Lauren mumbled.

Rolling her eyes, Camila gently pushes the door open and makes her way inside. "Your daughter wants to see you."

Lauren closed her eyes as a gust of air hit her face. "I didn't give you permission to come in." She muttered.

"I didn't ask." Camila responds, putting Remi down.

The two year old ran toward Lauren. "Mommy!"

"That's my point. You have my daughter, the least you could do is respect me." Lauren muttered in response. She slid down the wall and leaned against it as Remi wrapped her arms around her. Lauren wrapped her arms around Remi's small body and held her close. She buried her face in Remi's neck and took a deep breath, taking in her daughter's peppermint sent. A tear slipped out of her eye, she couldn't stop it.