Chapter 41: Christmas Eve Eve

Start from the beginning

       I was so glad I had him in my life.

       "So I have a question," Grant said. "Does your dad ever leave the house for a long period of time? Because you and I haven't ma--"

       "Don't," I said. "Don't finish that sentence."

       "Oh, come on," Grant said. "I'm just wondering. I'm frustrated."

       "I really hate you at times," I said.

       "I'm pretty sure it's the complete opposite," Grant said. "I do want to show you something, though."

       I furrowed my eyebrows. "What exactly do you want to show me?"

       "You'll see," Grant said, grabbing hold of my hand and pulling me through the village. We shortly arrived to our spot; the walkway. 

       Walking up the stairs to get on the walkway, I couldn't help but feel a bit confused. I came here all the time. There was nothing here that I didn't know about so what was Grant wanting to show me?

       "You know, you confuse me sometimes," I said. "What's so special about the walkway when we're here all the time?"

       "Have you been here recently?" Grant asked.

       "Well... Not really," I said. "I think the last time I was here was the day of the trial. I came here to clear my mind, and I had a lot on my mind."

       "So you haven't been here while it was snowing?" Grant asked and I shook my head. "That's exactly what I wanted to show you." 

       Whenever we came here, we always stood on the side of the walkway where the wooden fence was overlooking the village. Never on the other side that looked at the outskirts of the village. I had once and it was absolutely beautiful, with trees, an open field, and a stream running along a path.

       I should probably walk that path sometime.

       This time being on the walkway, we stood on the other side. "I came here yesterday," Grant said. "When I went to walk Hennessy home. And I noticed how absolutely breathtaking the view was. That's what I wanted to show you."

       I looked at the outskirts of the village and Grant was right; it was breathtaking with the addition of the snow covering the ground and leafless trees. The now-setting sun was giving the snow a yellowish-orange glow and it actually seemed as if it was sparkling.

       "I definitely have to come look at this view more often," I said. "Especially since this is the place that I come to if I need to get my mind off of something. That's what I've been needing recently."

       "Is there anything new bothering you?" Grant asked. 

       "Not really," I said. "Just suffering through withdrawal and trying to wrap my head around the fact that my mom is getting married soon. I thought I'd fully accept it sooner but then I realized how fast everything was moving. She hasn't even been seeing Jaime for four months."

       "Well, in her defence, when you know, you know," Grant said. "People don't have to be dating for years before they get married."

       "I know," I said. "And it's not that I'm diminishing how much in love they are. Clearly they are. It's just... hard for me. I know my mom and dad will never get back together but..."

       "A small part of you always hoped for it?" Grant asked and I nodded.

       "Is that selfish of me?" I asked. "I know they weren't always happy together. In fact, there were more times where they weren't happy together. But I still miss when we were a family. The three of us."

       "It's not selfish, Ollie," Grant said. "It's what you've known for almost your whole life. And it's not like you're demanding that they can't see other people and be happy with other people. You're just holding on to that small bit of hope."

       "That makes me feel a bit better," I said. "I am happy for my mom. Really happy. And I know Jaime isn't going to be some evil step-father. Even if he is, at least I have Shaw being added to the family and he isn't afraid to stand up to anyone, even his own family members."

       "Yeah, that's true," Grant said. "Have you talked to him about it yet?"

       I shook my head. "I don't think Jaime told his kids yet. He's probably waiting to tell them all together so he's waiting until they are together. Probably on Christmas. And speaking of, are you sure you don't want to spend it with your family?"

       "Yeah, I'm sure," Grant said. "I've known you and your dad longer, and after he let me move in with you, it would feel weird not spending Christmas with you two. Trust me, it's what I really want."

_________________

i want to spend christmas with ollie too :( he's my precious son and i love him so much.

anyway this book is most likely ending on chapter 45. that would be the latest chapter. it could end earlier. idk we'll see.

and the book after this one will be in dual pov. i want grant's pov but i also can't quite let go of ollie's pov, and for the beginning of the book, it will make sense to get both of theirs ;)