Chapter 8: I'm Fine Here

       Weekends were always my favourite days since I was able to sleep in and didn't have to worry about going to school. Unfortunately, this Saturday wasn't one of the days I could sleep in since a bunch of yelling woke me up.

       I groaned and covered my head with my pillow, trying to block out the yelling but it wasn't helping. It was too loud for me to block out even the slightest.

       Eventually, I got off of my bed and walked out of my bedroom, seeing Mom and Dad standing in the living room, arguing as loudly as they could. I was too annoyed to try to listen to what they were arguing about.

       Instead, I just slammed my bedroom door shut behind me so they would shut up for once and stop arguing. Once they both looked at me, I said, "Thank you, for waking me up on a weekend. What's so important that you two need to argue about anyway?"

       "I don't want you living here anymore, Ollie," Mom said. "It's not doing you any good."

       "Uh, and how would you know that?" I asked. "Because I'd like to think I'm doing good living here."

       "Right, which is why you skipped school about two weeks ago," Mom said.

       I furrowed my eyebrows. "I didn't. And even if I did, there's no way you would know about it."

       "Believe my, I have my ways," Mom said. "So don't even bother trying to deny that fact that you did skip school."

       "Wait, are you seriously talking about when the orchestra showed up to the school?" I asked. "There wasn't anything wrong with me missing that. It wasn't like I missed a lesson or a test."

       "That doesn't make it any better," Mom said. "You can't just miss something important because you don't want to go. Your dad is letting you get away with everything."

       "Now hold on a minute, I don't let him get away with anything," Dad said. "If he does something wrong, he gets punished and just because I don't punish him the way you would, that doesn't mean I let him get away with everything."

       "You're always babying him, August," Mom said. "Your methods don't really work."

       "I'm sorry, but he got arrested twice under your care," Dad said. "Not mine. So whose methods really don't work?"

       Another argument broke between Mom and Dad, completely ignoring me. I just went back into my bedroom to get changed so I could head out until they were done arguing, which probably wasn't going to be for a while.

       As soon as I was changed, I left me bedroom and went to the front door, putting on my shoes and grabbing my sweater from the coat rack. Once that was on, I opened the door to head outside.

       "Ollie," Mom said before I could step foot outside. "Where do you think you're going?"

       "Out," was my only reply before walking outside and slamming the door behind me.

       As much as I would like my mom to visit me, I didn't want it to be like this where my parents were arguing the whole time. All they did, even when they were married, was argue about the stupidest things. 

       It only put me in a horrible mood.

       And I was definitely in a horrible mood today. Nothing was worse than starting the day off feeling this way. If things kept getting worse for me, no doubt I would turn to the one thing I really didn't want to even before lunch.