Chapter 26: Halloween Carnival

       I had never been in Spruceworth yet during a holiday and I was always hearing about how amazing holidays were here in this village. Most people, even those not personally celebrating the day, helped decorate the village if they owned some type of business. 

       Now that Halloween has rolled around, I finally understood what everyone was talking about. 

       So many buildings had decorated in the spirit of the Halloween but that wasn't the only thing Spruceworth was doing. In one area of the village close to the school since it had the largest spacial area, a small carnival was set up as well, completed with a small Ferris wheel, a merry-go-round, and even a haunted house set up in one of the buildings in the area.

       Grant kept claiming that because he was the mayor's grandson, he would be able to get us a lot of free food, and go on the rides and play games for free. Needless to say, he was wrong. He couldn't even get free tickets even though someone from the mayor's office was running the ticket booth and knew Grant quite well.

       Then again, she seemed a bit annoyed by Grant so maybe it was the fact that he did know her quite well that didn't get her any free tickets.

       "I would like to know the point of being the mayor's grandson if I don't get any free stuff," Grant said.

       "Not everything is about free stuff," I said.

       "It is when I'm not getting any despite being the mayor's grandson." Grant's eyes then landed on someone. "Ooh, there's my grandpa. Come on, I want you to meet him."

       "Or is that just an excuse for you to ask him to get free stuff?" I asked as Grant grabbed my hand and pulled my towards his grandpa.

       "Both," Grant admitted right before we reached his grandpa. "There's my favourite grandpa whose has the name Enzo."

       "And there's my favourite grandson who has the name Grant," Grant's grandpa, Enzo, said. "So who is this gentleman with you?"

       "This is Ollie, my boyfriend," Grant said. "Ollie, this is my grandpa, Enzo."

       "It's nice to meet you, Ollie," Enzo said, giving me a smile.

        I returned the smile and said, "You too."

       "Now, tell me," Enzo said. "Does Grant treat you right? I know I'm supposed to ask Grant that about you but I'm asking you because Grant is my grandson and I know how annoying he is. Does he annoy you a lot?"

       "Are you kidding?" Grant asked. "I'm an angel."

       "He's okay," I said, only as a joke though. Whenever Grant was annoying to me, I never took it too seriously. "He is always claiming that I threatened to kill him, especially on the first day of school when we met."

       "You pushed me up against the locker and told me you'll end my life," Grant said.

       "No, I told you not to tell me what to do or you'll regret it," I said.

       "I read between the lines."

       "There weren't any lines to read between."

       Grant just shrugged in reply before changing the subject. "So, Grandpa, since you love me dearly and because my mom and sister are being very mean to me, can I have some free tickets to the carnival even though Ollie and I just bought some not too long ago?"

       I was expecting Enzo not to give Grant anything since that was what the rest of Grant's family members did when he tried getting free things or discounts, like with Destiny and Dan at the diner. He even asked one of his other cousins, who was a police officer, if he could steal some food and be let off the hook.