Chapter 3: Group Work

       One of the very few bright sides about living in Spruceworth was the distance between everything. I could never find a place to eat at lunch but thankfully, I had more than enough time to go home and stay there for a while before heading back.

       I was just lying down on my bed, scrolling through social media because I had nothing else to do. I already ate a few snacks and I still had a bit of time to kill before needing to head back to school.

       Although, I was really starting to regret scrolling through social media because after coming across a post from one of my friends. I didn't even know if I would consider him a friend anymore since we haven't talked to each other for a few months.

       Ever since I lost my music scholarship.

       I needed someone to talk to when it happened but he wouldn't answer my phone calls or reply to my texts. Once we were no longer going to go to the same music school, our friendship ended.

       I didn't know why I still followed him on social media. I didn't go on it often so I guessed I forgot but now was definitely the worst time to look at it. All I was seeing was my ex-friend posting pictures and pictures of his time at the music school. The music school I worked so hard to get into.

      The music school I would never have a chance to go attend again.

       I locked my phone and placed it onto my nightstand as I stared up at the ceiling, trying to push out the penitent feeling that was now forming inside of me. If I could take back what I did that eventually prompted me losing the one thing I strove for almost my whole life.

       The feeling wasn't leaving at all so I sat up on my bed, hesitating for a bit before getting off and crouching down beside it. I really shouldn't be doing this when I had to leave to go back to school in a few minutes but I needed something to take this feeling away.

       At least I knew how to drink in a moderate amount.

       And that was what I did. 

       I didn't drink the whole bottle. Just enough.

       School was going to be starting again soon so I hid the bottle back under my bed before standing up. I grabbed my cell phone and placed it into my pocket before leaving my bedroom. I put my shoes on and picked up my backpack before heading out there door.

       I knew it was a horrible decision drinking before I had to go back to school, even if it was a moderate amount because I was feeling a bit tipsy. I couldn't help it though. A lot of the times, I didn't even want to drink but I couldn't help it.

       I was having a tiny bit of trouble walking in a straight line so I was trying to take my time walking to school. I did get there right in time for the first bell to ring for third period; the class where Dad was my teacher.

       I walked into the classroom but I was still having trouble walking and I ended up bumping into the wall by the door.

       Dad noticed right away, looking over at me with furrowed eyebrows. "You alright, Ollie?" he asked.

       "Yeah," I said. "Yeah, sorry, I just went home for lunch and napped for a bit so I'm a bit in a daze."

       Dad bought it, thankfully. He didn't say anything else as I carefully walked over to my desk and sat down. Now I was just wanting this class to end because it was definitely my least favourite. Part of it being because Dad was my teacher and he wasn't giving me any special treatment, but the main one being was because that annoying guy Grant was in this class.