Chapter 12: Oblivious Ollie

       Living in Spruceworth with my dad meant I wouldn't have to worry too much about my mom trying to control my life. At least, that was what I hoped.

       That wasn't the case at all.

        It was for a while and I was a bit surprised Mom hadn't found her way to interfere with my life but I didn't complain. I'd rather choose my own path, my own life.

       So when my mom sent me a bunch of texts, each one linking to a music academy, I wasn't happy. I told her I didn't want to go to any other music academy. I told her I was happy here. It didn't matter if I really wasn't challenging my musical abilities.

       I mean, did I really have to? I felt like if I went to any other music academy I didn't feel up to going, it would only make me like the piano less and less. I wanted to play it because I loved to, not because I felt the responsibility to.

       Too bad my mom didn't really understand that and now, she just brought my mood down, especially when she sent one final text saying, Start looking at these to see which one you want to attend next year.

       I didn't even bother replying to her. There was no point when she clearly didn't listen to me in the first place. 

       Unfortunately, I did what I always did whenever I had anger inside of me, except I drank a lot more than I normally did. A lot more.

       Huge mistake but I already came up with the conclusion that my life was going to be filled with mistakes.

       At least this time, it was on the weekend and not when I had to go to school. Dad was also out right now so I was home alone, free to drink as much as I want without anyone around to worry me.

       Even though the house was empty, I stayed in my bedroom the whole time. I didn't feel like going anywhere else; just in my bed, drowning my sorrows with a bottle of alcohol.

       When I finished the bottle, I put it back under my bed so Dad wouldn't find it with the recyclables. I may make a lot of mistakes but I wasn't stupid enough to make it easy for Dad to catch me drinking. I had gone months without either of my parents knowing and I wasn't going to start now.

       I was just watching TV while lying on my bed when I heard the front door open before my Dad called, "Ollie?! Are you home?!"

       I sighed and got off the bed, carefully walking over to my bedroom door. I opened it slowly and peeked my head out. "Yeah. Why?"

       That was when Mom walked inside after Dad. Great. I couldn't have chosen a better time to drink.

       "Because I want to talk to you about something," Mom said once she saw me. "Come on, we'll go talk in the living room."

       I hesitated a bit, trying to find a way out of this because if I spent a lot of time talking to my parents and being around them right now, they would for sure figure out what was going on and I couldn't risk that happening. Mom would only use it as an excuse to try to and get me to live with her again.

       My wants wouldn't be a priority anymore. She would only see a sixteen year old drinking without his dad knowing, even though I did start drinking other Mom's care. She wouldn't believe me knowing her, though. There wasn't proof. She would only think I was saying it to stay with Dad.

       "Well?" Mom said because I hadn't moved yet. "Are you going to leave your room or not?"

       "What about?" I asked.