Chapter 40: Step-Family

       Not having to go to school was actually taking a toll on both me and Grant. Going to school every week day gave us something to do for six hours, sometimes more if it was one of the days we had rehearsals for the musical. And when we were occupied for that long, chances are we didn't have to focus too much on our cravings.

       I was doing a lot better, thankfully. Ever since Grant went into his coma, I tired my best to stay away from alcohol. It was the cause of our argument and I really didn't want to hurt Grant like that again.

       Everyone was telling me not to blame myself or my alcoholism for what happened to Grant. Even Grant was telling me that but I couldn't help it.

       At least it was keeping me away from alcohol.

       So far.

       Now that it was officially winter vacation, Grant and I had way too much free time on our hands.

       And with the holidays inching closer, Grant was feeling a lot worse. He knew he was more than welcomed to spend Christmas with my family but that didn't mean it was going to be easy for him. It would be his first Christmas without his dad. 

       To make things worse, he wouldn't be able to spend it with his little brother either all because Grant wasn't really Cora's son. She was the one who basically made Tara give Grant up to Cora and her husband. 

       She still raised him for sixteen years. She should have grown to love him, even if he wasn't her own.

       Vikram had a stepdad who still loved him as if he was his own son. 

       For some reason, Cora was incapable of loving Grant and it was completely ruining Grant's life.

       We had been trying to find things to take our minds off our own problems. One of the things we both tried was turning to music. We were constantly practicing the music for the school musical.

       Hennessy and Vikram were over at my house right now, so Grant and I were rehearsing with Hennessy as well so she could practise singing the songs. Well, I was the one helping Hennessy practise by playing the piano. Grant claimed he was too lazy to play the violin right now.

       But apparently, he wasn't too lazy to jump into the song, pretending to be part of the ensemble while Vikram did Gaston's parts.

       The best part was when the Bimbettes' part of the song came and Grant tried his best impersonating them, singing in the highest pitch he could. I was trying my best to hold in my laughter otherwise I'd end up messing up the chords.

       When the song ended, Hennessy threw a pillow at Grant. "You almost messed me up," she said though she had a smile on her face.

       "Hey, you would have been messed up if nobody sang the ensemble," Grant said. "Then you wouldn't know when to come in so if anything, I was helping you. You're welcome."

       Hennessy just rolled her eyes as the front door opened. I was a bit surprised to see Mom walk in behind Dad. "Hey, Mom," I said. "What are you doing here?"

       "I need to talk to you about something," she said. "Alone."

       I furrowed my eyebrows as I got up from the piano. "Uh, sure," I said. Normally when Mom wanted to talk to me alone, it wasn't a good thing.

       I just hoped she wasn't getting back on the whole me going to a music school thing.

       I followed Mom outside of the house and when the door closed behind her, she said, "I still need to wait a bit before telling your father but I think out of everyone, you deserve to know first."