Chapter 33

The next morning, I called my parents to see if they were free to spend some time with me. They told me they had a job that night catering a 50th wedding anniversary party at a couple's home.

"Do you need help? I can spend the day doing prep work in the kitchen," I offered.

"Are you sure?" my mom asked. "Don't you want to spend your day with your handsome boyfriend?"

"I've spent a lot of time with him this week. I think he can spare me for a few hours."

"Things must be going very well since you are never home," she said and I could tell from her voice she was smiling.

"They are. And yes, you can say you told me so. Happy?"

"I'm happy because you are, Chelsea. And I told you so!"

I agreed to meet them at the catering kitchen in an hour.

"What are you going to do today?" I asked Shawn before I left.

"Miss you."

"Stop. You'll be fine. Surely there's something you need to do that will be easier without me around. Something music related?"

We were in the kitchen having coffee. He set his cup down and walked over to me. He gave me a kiss and smiled.

"I probably should listen to the recordings from last month and start thinking about the album."

"That sounds like a good plan. I'll stop by the store on my way home to grab something for dinner and to get most of the groceries for tomorrow."

"I told Andrew you were cooking and he was thrilled. He said you should make him that amazing chocolate cake."

"Andrew said that? It's so unlike him to ask for something," I said. "He's never very demanding."

Shawn smirked. "Maybe I said it. It was a long conversation. I can't remember who said what."

I laughed and playfully pushed him. "I knew it was your idea. It's a good one, too. You can help me make it."

"Will I get to lick the bowl?" he asked mischievously.

"Probably not for another day or so," I said as I walked out of the room to get ready to go.

Spending the day making hundreds of hot and cold finger foods was surprisingly fun. It felt great working side by side with my dad. My mom helped for awhile, too, which was not her thing usually. I think she just wanted the opportunity to grill me about Shawn.

I'd warned her that our relationship was a secret for the time being. The two employees my parents had hired to replace me were there working, so she couldn't mention Shawn's name or say anything that was specific to him.

"So your boyfriend has some business travel coming up?" she asked as we stood side by side piping salmon mousse on cucumber circles.

"He does. He'll be gone off and on for a lot of the summer."

"And what will you do?"

I hadn't really given that a lot of thought.

"I can work for you when needed, and I can start thinking about my restaurant."

My mom put her pastry bag down. "Your dad and I have something to tell you. This is as good a time as any."

I stopped what I was doing. "What?"

My dad was nearby and had apparently been listening. He walked over and stood on my other side.

"We're retiring in a couple months," he said.