Away Ch.11

Annabeth's POV

Percy has been acting different. No, not exactly different. Distant. During each partner activity he would just happen to dissappear and be partnered with someone else. I really wanted to talk to him about the dreams I've been having, but when he seems to be avoiding me it's a bit hard to do so. For example:

"Uh uhm. Class... todaywe're going to be teaching you to play a flute," mumbled a stayr I've never seen around before.

"Be sure to grab a flute from the box and then pair up in groups of two because we don't have enough sheet music," he continued.

I headed for a flute, and then turned around to find Percy, but saw that he had already invited an apollo kid to join his group. So instead I got stuck with sharing a sheet with a child of Nike.

And again:

It was lunch time. I had just gotten my lunch and went to sit down. After looking around to make sure that, that seaweed brain was sitting at his table I quietly sneaked over. He didn't notice me at first, but when we made eye contact Percy got up and left...

I am so confused. Is Percy really avoiding me right now?

Percy's POV

It pained me to avoid Annabeth, but it was all I could do to keep her safe. Safe from whatever that prophecy held, safe from heartbteak, safe from me... Many times she tried to approach me and many times I had to quickly dart away.

I had sword fighting lesson's on day. Sword play was a great refugee to distract me from my daunting task of playing keep away. Although the boy, Alatar, was in the class.

I pulled out Riptide as I listened to the instructor from the Ares cabin teach the crowd.

Alatar's POV

I scanned the crowd of students at the sword lessons. Many of them have seen me before, but probably don't know who I actually am.

"We will be teaching the disarming technique. Will anyone volunteer to be a demonstration?" The tutor said.

Everyone shuffled around and looked at the ground. I spotted the boy, Percy Jackson.

"Teacher, I'm sure he will," I said pointing at Percy.

They all turn to look at him, and he shrugs. His sword already out, he walks towards the front of the crowd.

"Am I the test subject?" He asked.

"Yes, now everybody watch closely," the instructor ordered.

Everyone leaned in and had their eyes on the blades as the teacher twisted Percy's sword out of his hands. It clattered to the ground.

"Thank you, now lets test it in a real fight. Jackson?" The instructor asked.

"Ah, okay" he replied.

The demigods got into fighting stance. They clashed at each other. Dodging and striking. Until Percy pulled the disarming move. The instructors blade twisted out of his hands and clattered to the floor. Everyone clapped politely.

"Anyone else?"

I raised my hand. "Can I challenge Mr. Jackson?"

Everyone turned to look at me this time. I heard some whispers ripple through the crowd.

"Sure" Percy replied. The instructor shrugged and stepped back.

I used the mist to create a sword. Everyone expects Percy to disarm me easily. It'll be easy to trick them. I marched up and stood in fighting stance. Percy mirrored.

"Ready, fight!" The instructor yelled.

I lunged forward to attack. My blade scraping against Percy's. He took the opportunity of the blades touching to twist and disarm me. The mist fell to the ground and dissappeared.

I unsheathed my actuall blade and attacked. Percy was unprepared and didn't anticipate the move in time. The tip of my sword pressed against his throat.

The crowd was silent, then started to cheer. Percy looked shocked for a moment, but then congradulated me. I laughed and walked away, the class has ended.

Author's Note:
LOL. Semester exams stabbed me in the back. Don't be a silent reader! Comment, or favorite the chapter to let me know I'm not alone in this life. It'll really help my motivation to know that there are more greek geeks out there!

   XOXO fresh from the grave