Heading to Myrtle Beach

Lex

We arrived in Myrtle Beach and made our way to the beach house. Once we arrived, Lakin and Mia greeted us. We brought in our bags and took them to our rooms. Dad and Ma hired someone to get everything ready for tomorrow.

We were all staying two weeks before heading back home. Then it would be a couple of weeks before Lyric's wedding.

Once we all got settled, we cooked out and relaxed. The cousins played a game of volleyball while the adults talked. My sisters and Piper were hanging together.

I went for a walk. Sometimes we need time to ourselves. I walked along the shoreline as the water hit my feet. I turned and looked at the ocean, as waves ripples through it. It had a calming effect on me.

"Don't tell me you're running off. You're not married yet," Kain said, walking over to me with Kaiden.

"Nope, just taking a breather," I told them as I stood there. Kain stood on my left side as Kaiden stood on my right.

"You know Lex, even though we're starting our own lives, doesn't mean we won't still be close," Kain said to me.

"Don't tell me you're getting soft on me," I said to Kain.

"Psh, never," Kain grinned as I chuckled.

Kaiden stood there, looking out into the water. He seemed quieter than usual.

"What's your deal? You usually have something to add. Are you losing your touch brother," Kain asked Kaiden.

"No," Kaiden whispered.

We looked at Kaiden then at each other.

"Kaiden?" I said.

He looked down and kicked the sand with his foot. "I have to talk to Dad but don't know how to talk to him."

"You just go up to him and say, old man, I need to talk, then open your mouth and let the words flow," Kain said.

"Yeah, I doubt that will happen," Kaiden said.

"Why?" I asked him.

"Because how do you tell a man like my father that you're gay?" Kaiden asked, looking at us.

We looked at him, not saying anything.

"Exactly, your dad might understand, but mine sure in the hell won't," Kaiden sighed.

"Did you ever ask him?" I asked.

"No, but all the comments Dad makes. Dad isn't exactly the type to be the sensitive type," Kaiden said to us.

"Kaiden, why didn't you tell us?" Kain asked him.

"Because I thought maybe if I acted like it was just a phase, it would pass. I even had girlfriends. I hit on women, but deep down, it didn't matter," he said.

We looked at him. Out of the brothers, no one knew how Nixon would take things. He was that unpredictable. Look at our weddings.

I left Kain and Kaiden alone to talk to the others. I walked up, and Nixon asked, "Where's frick and frack?"

"They're down ways, but they need to talk to you," I told Nixon.

"About what?" Nixon asked.

I looked at him as Dad said, "Lex?"

"Uncle Nixon, you need to talk to Kaiden, and you need to listen," I told him as he furrowed his brows. That's all I could say at that moment. It wasn't my place to tell Nixon. Kaiden needed to tell his dad. I hope Nixon listens.

Nixon

I walked down the beach and found frick and frack. Kaiden seemed upset about something.

"Mind telling me what's got you upset?" I asked Kaiden as my sons looked at me.

"Why?" Kaiden said to me.

"Because I would like to know what's bugging my son," I said.

"You wouldn't understand," Kaiden shook his head.

I crossed my arms. "Try me."

He walked up to me, looked me in straight in the eye, and said, "I'm gay. Go ahead and make some asinine comment as you always do." With that, Kaiden walked by me.

I looked at Kain. "Good to know my kids think so low of me."

"Do you blame him? It's not like you aren't vocal about someone is gay," Kain countered.

"Newsflash, I'm vocal about everyone, but the one thing I'm not is against anyone is themselves, especially family. Maybe if you two listened instead of judging, you would see that" I snapped as I turned and walked away, leaving Kain stunned.

I walked back to the beach house feeling hurt. My kids thought so low of me. I didn't know what I ever did to make them think poorly of me?

When I reached the porch, the family saw me and tried to ask me what was wrong, but I just went inside the house. It felt like the time that Nash and I had a falling out. It was the worst feeling in the world.

I walked into the kitchen and saw a liquor bottle on the counter. I grabbed it as I went up to a bedroom. I sat on the side of the bed and held it in my hands. I stared at it, intently what I wouldn't give for a drink right now.

"Are you going to take a drink?" I heard someone ask me.

"It's tempting. It is, but no," I said as I set the bottle down on the nightstand.

Kat sat down on one side of me, and Nash sat down on the other side of me.

"What happened?" Nash asked me.

"Kaiden told me he is gay. He said he didn't tell me because I would make some comments. He didn't even give me a chance to respond," I said incredulously.

They looked at me.

"My kids hate me," I said as my voice cracked.

"Honey, they don't hate you, but they need to know you will love them no matter what," Kat told me.

I looked at her as tears fell. "That's the thing I do. I love them more than anything. I don't care if they're gay or not. All I care is if they're happy," I said to her. It was true. I cared about their happiness.

Then I heard someone say, "Is that true?"

I looked to see Kaiden standing at the door. Kat nodded, and I stood up. I walked over to him, "Very much so."

Kaiden nodded as he started to cry, and I hugged him. He cried, I cried. I threaten to beat Nash's ass if he told anyone.

I love my kids. The day they were born was one of the happiest days of my life, even if they could be a royal pain in the ass.

I looked at Kaiden. "Never think you and your brother don't mean the world to me. That's not true. You mean everything to me."

"I know, it's just that you are Dad. We don't want to disappoint you," Kaiden told me.

"Pft, you are so wrong. If you're gay, you will always disappoint me with your stupid shit," I said as we both started laughing.

"Well, I think I will just hide this," Nash said as he picked up the bottle, carrying it out of the room.

"Ye have little faith, big brother!" I yelled to Nash.

"Damn straight! No offense Kaiden!" Nash yelled back.

"Not at all, Uncle Nash!" Kaiden yelled.

We went downstairs, and I proudly announced to everyone that my son was gay. It didn't thrill Kaiden that I ousted him, but I didn't care. I was proud of my boy. He can deal with it.

I asked Kain if he was gay, and he told me to get bent. What the hell? I just wanted to make sure I'm equally supportive of frick and frack. They can't fault me for that.