Calm down

Luna

I came out of the bathroom after showering to remove the glue that was ice cream from me. As I brushed my hair, I picked up my phone to see about ten messages waiting for me. I opened them up to see they were from Major. Some made me laugh, some made me smile, and some I rolled my eyes at while reading the text messages.

I called him. It rang twice before he picked up.

"You know, if you are trying to work at getting someone back, calm down a bit," I said to him.

You got my messages. I heard Major sigh on the other end.

"Major, I said I wanted to take this slow. That means taking our time and getting to know each other," I reasoned.

I know. It's just that today was amazing. I didn't want you to think that I didn't enjoy it today.

A smile curled upon my lips, but I had to be firm. I refused to fall into the same trap again with Major. The minute you cave, they run.

"I'm glad but relax - one day at a time. I'll talk to you later," I said, hanging up. I tossed my phone on my bed as I heard someone say, "You know he loves you."

I looked up to see Lakin standing there. She walked over and took a seat next to me.

"Sorry I've been missing in action," Lakin apologized.

"It's fine. You're dealing with your stuff along with Mia. I can't fault you for it," I reasoned.

"Yeah, but we're all doing our own thing while it leaves you alone," she said to me.

"Well, I've learned to be more independent," I shrugged, trying to look on the positive side.

"Luna, we have ignored you," Lakin informed me.

I looked at her. It was true. I felt like everyone was busy, leaving me to fend for myself.

"Lakin, if I say anything, then people will say I'm selfish and insecure. If I say nothing, then I'm moody and anti-social. I can't win," I sighed. It was true. Out of all of us, I was the one that everyone judged the most. It didn't matter if I felt this way. I'm a Gray. Grays are tight, although I felt anything but robust.

"It's funny out of all of us; you turned out the most sensitive. Lyric is the most levelheaded, Larkin is the sarcastic one, I'm the one with the temper, and Lex, well he's just a twit," Lakin said.

I laughed at that.

"And you're a tool, but you don't hear me complaining, now do you?" Lex asked as we all turned to see the rest of them at the doorway.

They walked in and climbed on the bed with me.

"Luna, why didn't you tell us?" Lyric asked.

"You all were dealing with your stuff. I didn't think you needed to hear about my pathetic love life. I mean, it's not like I lost someone to suicide or assaulted or attacked. These are major things. All I had is someone that likes the chase then drops me. It's regrettable when you think about it," I said, trying not to cry.

"Yeah, but doesn't mean it doesn't hurt any less," Larkin added.

"Even if I want to allow myself to feel like if I do, then I will have to deal with it all over again. I'm tired of being discarded," I sighed as tears fell down my cheeks.

I always felt discarded, even by my family. I know, shocking.

Later on, there was a knock at the door. Okay, it's ten at night, who the hell is knocking? I opened it to find Uncle Nolan standing there.

"Uncle Nolan? What are you doing here?" I asked.

"A little birdie told me that you needed some help." Nolan smiled. I turned to see my siblings and frick and frack standing there. They all looked around and whistled. Figures, I rolled my eyes at them.

He came in, and I made some coffee, then we sat down at the table and talk.

"Lu, what's going on? They tell you're down, and you feel discarded. I know you don't want to talk to your dad because well, he's a tool, but talks to me," he pressed me.

"I feel like everyone has bigger problems to deal with than me. I'm the one that has stupid insecurity problems," I sighed.

"They're not stupid. It's how you feel. Trust me; I know," Nolan assured me.

"How? You are Uncle Nolan. You have no issue getting women, and you seem like you have it all together," I said to him.

"Yeah, but it wasn't always like that. I did a lot of dumb things when I was younger. Let's see, I went to jail because I got caught in a prostitution house with Nixon. I went to a party and get drunk, getting everyone grounded. I went to Hawaii and hooked up with a married woman. I got suspended because I helped my brothers beat up some tool for humiliating your ma. Been on house arrest more times than I can count," he said as I looked at him shocked.

"You want to know why?"

"Do I even want to know?" I asked him.

"It's because I was insecure. I thought by doing all those things that I could keep up with my brothers. Let's see you have Nash, your dad, who girls swooned over but kept screwing up with your ma. Then, Nixon, who everyone loves for some ungodly reason. Nathan, who doesn't give a shit if people like him or not. Then Noah, who seems to have his head on straight. Then me, who was trying to find a place in my family," he shrugged.

I looked at him. I never knew that about Uncle Nolan. He seemed like he had everything under control.

"Lu, the truth is everyone feels like they don't fit in, but why fit in when you're born to stand out," he smiled, which made me smile. "I think you need to realize, you are you and know not everyone is out to hurt you or discard you. Sometimes it takes a little help from family to help you see your true potential," he explained, which made sense.

"And you have a lot of families," I heard Lyric say as I turned and looked at her.

"We are Grays, and we stick together, no matter what," Larkin added.

"Or we beat the hell out of them. Whichever comes first," Lakin smirked.

"But no matter what, we'll always have your back," Lex told me.

"Listen to these fools because heaven knows they are right. Why? Not a clue," Kain said, earning a smack from Lakin while Kaiden snickered, earning a crack from Lakin. My family is a bunch of nuts.

"See, no matter what, we Grays have each other's backs," Nolan reassured me. That made me feel better.

"Now, let's discuss this poor tool that is madly in love with you," he said as I sighed. Fantastic, here we go.