Fighting back

Lakin

I followed what the doctor said. If we wanted some normalcy, we had to let Mia learn everything. That meant pushing her and not treating her like a child. That's easier said than done.

The more we pushed, the more she fought until one day she looked at me in front of everyone and yelled, "I hate you!"

That took everyone by surprise as I turned and said, "Good, I hope it's long, hard hate. You're not a child, Mia. A hateful prick injured you. Don't let him hurt you anymore. Fight." I was firm with her as she looked at me.

Mia needed to know the world wasn't all rainbow and sunshine. She looked at me as I took her hands in mine. "You can do this. I know you can. You've come so far. Show them they can't win. Show them you're my Mia."

She nodded as I pulled her into a hug. She hugged me back while everyone watched us. Derrick Crandall's family would pay for his actions. Michael already hired an attorney and filed a civil lawsuit regarding what Derrick did.

We also changed a few things at school, along with everyone's help. The family that invested into the school had agreed. I guess they were a prominent family since their family went here.

It even set us to meet with one today. Usually, I'm not nervous, but I was today.

Michael, Mia, and I walked into Kate's Bakery and saw a woman sitting at a table with another woman. She saw us and waved to us. Michael and I looked at each other, not knowing what to think.

The three of us walked over and took a seat at the table.

"You must be Lakin Gray," the woman smiled.

"Christine Rhodes?" I asked.

She smiled even more prominent.

"And you're Michael Harper," she pointed at Michael, "and Mia Harper."

They both nodded.

"This is my daughter Sarah," she introduced us.

We all shook her hand after Mia saw Michael, and I did it first.

"I'm sorry if we pulled you away from something important," Michael said to her.

"I've been following Mia's progress after we found out what happened a few months ago," Christine mentioned.

We all looked at each other.

"You seemed surprised?" She asked us.

"Well, yeah. We didn't expect someone who co-owned a school like this to be interested in our issue," I said to Christine.

"Just because we own a school doesn't mean we don't care. Trust me; my daughter went here, and to find things have changed for the worse doesn't sit well for my family or me. Plus, I have a nephew coming here next year, and we don't need more trouble," she reasoned.

"I will be frank Christine; Derrick Crandall is to blame for all this. He went after us, spreading unnecessary hate," I said to her. I didn't care at this moment if I offended her. What happened to us was repulsive.

"I agree. That's why we're cleaning the house and putting in place a policy that will expel any student it involves a hate crime," she explained to us.

"Why would you help us?" I asked her out of curiosity.

"Because of me," Sarah spoke.

We all looked at her.

Then a woman walked in and over to us. She leaned over and kissed Sarah.

"This is my partner, Audrey," she introduced us as she pulled up a chair.

I didn't know whether I was surprised or relieve. I think I was both.

"Times have changed, but hate remains. People don't agree with your choices or lifestyle. They would rather judge than realize we're all trying to live our lives the best way we can. All we can to do to counteract hatred and ignorance is to spread love and acceptance," Sarah said, which made sense.

"It's funny; my family is crazy. I mean, my Grammy is bat shit crazy, and so are my uncles, cousins, and parents. I think they have passed the gene down over the years," I said.

They laughed.

"But for all their craziness, when I came out being gay, they never said it was wrong. All my family did was love me. Even my uncle Nixon, who is probably the most sarcastic person out of them and a minister, never judged me. He never told me it was wrong. All he ever told me was he hopes I find happiness. That spoke volumes to me," I told them all.

"It was the same with my family. Our family scares people, but they questioned nothing. Even Ryan, Jordan, and Frazier understood even though Frazier is nuts," Sarah giggled.

"I guess people can misjudge no matter who they are," I said.

"Let us take care of the school. You focus on each other," Christine advised.

"Thank you," I said to her as she gave me a soft smile. It was nice to talk to people that understood. Most didn't.

We ordered something and talked. We talked about our families. We all laughed at their crazy antics. After we finished, we got up and left.

When we left the bakery, Michael told us he would see us later. He had to meet Lyric. I slid my hand into Mia's, and we walked around. We finally talked. She was improving, and each day was getting better.

I'm so glad we went to see that neurologist, to get answers. All it took was getting perspective. Will Mia be like she ever was? Nope, but it's close enough. All I wanted was for her to have a life just like us.

One day, when the time was right, I would make her my wife. I couldn't imagine spending my life without her. I'm so glad she survived. Having her here was more important than anything.

She wrapped her arms around my arm as we walked through town. I looked and kissed her side of the head. People stared, but I didn't care. You should never hide your love for someone, no matter who they are.

Hopefully, this changes things, and people like Derrick Crandall won't be able to get away with anything anymore. Only time will tell.