Unconditional Love

Lakin

Patience has never been my strong suit. I prefer to use my fists to get my point across. Now I would have to garnish some with Mia.

Her speech had improved, and so did her motor skills, but she had developed an innocence about her. She looked at things than before, and now it was my turn to take care of her.

I spent more time with her than my family, and they understood, but today we are celebrating Grammy's birthday. I swear the woman is like two hundred years old.

According to Dad, she is only ninety-five, close enough.

I went to pick up Mia to bring her to the party. I drove over to her house and got out of the car. I walked up to the front door and knocked.

Michael answered it and smiled. He held open the door as I walked inside.

"I will get Lyric. Mia's upset," Michael warned me.

"About what?" I asked, concerned.

"Her dress," he said as I nodded. I walked up the stairs, and he followed me.

I knocked on her door, and it was quiet. I turned the knob, opening it, to reveal Mia sitting on her bed with her head down.

I walked over to her and crouched in front of her. "Hey, baby girl."

She lifted her head and looked at me, wide-eyed, smiling, "Lakin!"

"Michael said you were a little upset about your dress," I mentioned.

"Oh, Lakin, it's not pretty," she sighed.

"I think it's beautiful," I said sincerely.

"Really?" Her face lit up.

"Yes, now come on. We don't want to be late." I stood up and held out my hand. She took it, standing up. She placed her hands on my shoulders and kissed me on the lips. That caught me by surprise because she hadn't been affectionate with me for a while.

I missed this. I gently placed my hands on Mia's face and kissed her back. I missed her lips, and I had missed being close to her, baby steps.

I let go of her, and she smiled. I took her hand and led her out as Michael followed us. I led her to the car and got her situated, while Michael went to get Lyric.

I drove her to grampa's and nana's house. After I parked, we got out of the car, and I held her hand while we walked inside the house. I didn't want her scared.

As we entered, she clenched my arm as people saw us. The whole family was here, including Uncle Jonas and Uncle Cayson, along with their wives and families.

Everyone looked at us as I looked at Mia. "Lakin, I'm scared." She buried her head into my shoulder.

"Mia? Look at me." She lifted her head and looked at me. "This is my family, which will also be your family one day. They won't hurt you, honey."

She looked at everyone as they gave her a soft smile, which a smile curled upon her lips. Then I heard a clunking sound against the floor, oh shit.

I stood there as Mia gripped my arm tightly, cutting off my circulation as Grammy walked towards us. Please be kind; please be gentle. I prayed silently to myself.

"Well, hello, Mia. You have a lovely dress on today." Grammy greeted Mia. Wait. What?

She loosened her grip on my arm and moved her hands to her dress as she pushed the material between her fingers. "You think so?"

"Oh, sweetheart, I know so. How about you come with me, and we can have some cake?" Grammy gave Mia a genuine smile.

I watched Mia smile and turned to me. "Lakin? Can I have cake?"

I looked at her as everyone looked at me. "How about some food, then you can have a big piece of cake?"

"Okay," she said.

"Okay, food then cake," Grammy told her. "Get us some food, Nathaniel. I'm not getting any younger!"

"You can say that again," Cayson mumbled.

Mia giggled. "He's funny."

Grammy didn't argue, and neither did the rest of us; we all just smiled. That was a relief. As they made their way out, Dad and Ma walked over to me. "She seems like she's doing better," Dad said to me.

"We're taking it day by day," I said to him.

"Lakin, we're proud of you," Ma told me.

"She's my heart," I told them as I shrugged. I walked by and went out to the backyard. It was true; Mia was everything to me. So much happened that I was afraid she wouldn't wake up, but she did. She might be different, but to me, she was my Mia.

As the party got into full swing, the noise level increased ten folds, causing Mia to go into full-blown panic mode. The noise was an issue.

"Stop!" She screamed as she placed her hands over her ears. I turned and walked over to her as everyone quieted down. I reached her as she looked at me, "Lakin it's too loud," she cried.

"Okay, baby girl. Let's go somewhere quieter," I said as I gently guided her away from everyone. Michael followed suit.

"Is she going to be okay?" Larkin asked Lyric.

"No, but over time noise won't be as bad. Michael said she's been having a hard time adjusting to things. It's because of the brain damage," Lyric explained.

"She didn't deserve that. I hope that bastard rots in hell," Maverick said to them.

They all looked at each other.

Once we got her settled down, I took her home. It was just too much for her. Over time, she would get better with noise, but it was still a battle. At least, she was here and alive. Oh, Mia, my baby, it will be okay.