Taking it slowly

Lakin

I got dressed and made my way out. I drove over to pick up Mia. I got out of the car and walked up to the door. I knocked, and Michael answered it. He nodded as I walked through the doorway.

I climbed the stairs to Mia's bedroom. I gently knocked and heard her say, "Come in."

I turned the handle, walking inside her room. She was tying her shoe and getting frustrated. I walked over and helped her. She gave me a soft smile as I gave her one back.

"I'm sorry, Lakin. One day I will get it," she sighed.

"Baby girl, take all the time you need." I smiled as I stood up. I held out my hand as she took it. I interlocked our fingers as I led her out of her room.

We came downstairs. "Where are you two going?" Michael asked us.

"We will have breakfast at my house, then the park, and the bakery," I said.

"Have fun," he smiled.

"We will," Mia said enthusiastically, causing him to smile.

We walked out of the house, and she got into the car. I had to remind her to buckle up. Mia forgot things and had issues with others. The doctor said that it would be like the rest of her life. I didn't care; she was alive, and that's all mattered to me.

I took her to the park, and she was like a little kid, so excited. She ran to a swing and sat down. "Push me, Lakin," she yelled.

I walked over and pushed her as she yelled, "Higher!" She had a childlike quality to her, but it was more innocent than anything.

Eventually, she tired of the swing, and we walked around. I reached over and tried to take her hand, but she snatched it away, unsure of what I was doing.

"It's okay, Mia. I'm just going to hold your hand," I assured her as she nodded. I gently took her hand into mine and intertwined our fingers. She needed to trust me, which was slow but a work in progress. We would get there.

Luna

Since we got back this summer, my sisters and brother have been doing their own thing. It tied Lyric and Larkin up with Michael and Maverick. Lakin was busy with Mia, and Lex, well, we barely saw him.

I was learning how to be on my own. Who knows when my divorce will come through from Major? My parents and nana were right; it was a dumb thing to do.

So, I've been reading books about how to be single and not rely on a guy or anyone. I've been doing things alone, which felt weird since I was usually with someone. I went to dinner, the movies, the store, the park, and even walks alone.

My parents thought I was having some weird crisis, but I wasn't. Everyone always talks about how insecure I am. They joke and make fun of me for it when I've never seen as anything other than one quint.

I was trying to figure out what I liked and didn't like it. That's what one of the self-help books said to do. Find something you enjoy doing alone. Another said to be a strong independent woman, never rely on a man to do anything.

A third book said that we are powerful human beings and should rely on ourselves. After reading all this, I went to buy more books. It's not like I have anything better to do with my time.

I left the house and went to the bookstore's self-help section. I was checking out books to see which one was the better help. There are so many books to choose from here.

"Dare I ask what the hell you are doing?" Uncle Nolan said as I turned to face him.

"Well, it's a bookstore, and I'm buying books," I said, looking at him strangely.

"Luna, why are you buying self-help books?" Nolan asked me.

"Because I don't want to depend on a man. I am an independent woman who is self-sufficient and self-reliant," I said enthusiastically.

"Since when?" He asked incredulously.

"Since everyone tells me how insecure I am," I answered. Nolan gave me a concerned look. "I can't help it; I'm insecure. It's just who I am," I sighed.

"Lu, let me tell you a story about a majorly insecure guy. This tool was so insecure he shot his load even before he had time to do anything," he said to me.

"Let me guess, that was you?" I questioned him with a strange look.

"Hell no! That was Nathan. The dude gave Noah blue balls because of it," he exclaimed. "The best part was we had cake. That was a damn good cake."

"Okay, first, ew. Second, what does this have to do with me?" I asked.

"The point I'm trying to make is that everyone is insecure in their way. Hell, my brothers are the biggest insecure tools ever, and so is your mother," Nolan told me.

"Wait. What?" I asked.

"Your ma gave your dad back his promise ring several times. Your dad is the biggest tool out there. Who the hell tells someone you're in a relationship maybe takes?" Nolan asked with annoyance.

Wow, that was information I wasn't expecting.

"The truth is Lu; you don't need these books. You're a Gray. Start acting like it. Make the guy chase you," he suggested.

I looked at him. I didn't want a guy to chase me. I'm over with trying to make something work that didn't.

Nolan left, and I put the books back, then went to look for a romance novel. I bumped into someone causing them to drop some books.

"Sorry about that," I said as I went to help the person pick up their books and noticed the titles of a few.

How to win someone back? Guide to romance and love.

What in the hell? I stood and looked to see Major standing there. Ah, it makes sense.

"Here," I said, handing him the books.

"Luna," Major started to say.

"Good luck with your new romance, Major," I said as I turned and walked away. That stung a bit and decided to go home, regretting my bright ideas. My divorce couldn't happen quick enough.

After I left, Maverick walked up. "Did you find them?"

"Yeah, and now I got a bigger problem," Major sighed.

"What's that?" Maverick asked.

"Luna saw the books," Major said to him.

"Well, shit," Maverick said.

"Mav, what am I going to do? The minute Luna tells her dad, I'm in deep shit," Major said to him.

"Brother, you're in deep shit the minute not only her dad finds out, but so do her uncles. Good luck, you will need it," Maverick said, patting him on the back and walking away.

Yep, good luck, Major, you will need it with The Gray Brothers.