Forever

Two months later

  The house was quiet, everything was still. Waking up the next morning, as for the first time in awhile, everything was completely silent. At peace, finally. My curtains blocking the light, as I stretched under my comforter, throwing the blankets off myself as my long hair winded all around. I had a rather nice rest, no awful scary dreams for once, much well rested than before. It felt nice, for I had gotten what they felt like. I lied in my bed for awhile after, letting the day sink into myself as I stared up at the ceiling. What would I do today? Just stay home? Probably. Or would Mom and Dad make me go out with them like they usual forced? I wasn't certain, but figured I'd find out soon enough.

  It was a Saturday, for I was rather thankful for that. The week coming to a close, for it felt nice to only stay home where no one was staring, prying at me as I walked out in public. I enjoyed it very much so. Getting to prance around the house, still wearing my pj's that consisted of shorts and just a crew neck sweater of mine, with my slippers on sometimes if my feet were cold. I loved the lazy days.

Peering over at my clock I was surprised by what time it was, as the hands read 1:30 pm. I had been sleeping for over ten hours. However I was still tired, not understanding how that worked at all. Rubbing my eyes a bit, I began to sit up and let the blood rush away from my head, to everywhere else in my body. My thin figure too tiny as I hadn't eaten all day, my stomach growling at me to get a move on towards the kitchen. Listening to it after a few seconds, I got up as well, walking slowly and wobbly as if some zombie from a movie. I felt like the living dead at the moment though, not far from the truth.

The silence still gathered in the house, confusion boggling inside me as I surely thought my parents were around. Was I wrong? Could be. Most of the silence however came from our empty property out in the front, as finally the press and reporters had died down. Sure, a few still strangled along our house from time to time, trying to get me to speak one more time like I had on the front lawn months ago, however I think they started to get the picture that I was no longer talking to them. No longer pleading with the man to give my friends back, as it seemed for once, the town was trying to move past these tragedies. Sure, the police were still working tirelessly, still asking me to come in and answer some questions, although nothing more, as the leads remained like the three missing girls; vanished. Not coming in, no one calling, there were no leads. Just like the years before. Would they ever solve these cases? Would they ever find them? The dim hope beginning to fade inside me, I began to believe what everyone else did; my friends were gone, not coming back. Ever.

Our street looked like it once did years ago, only a few people out tending their gardens, their lawn. Although for the most part it was completely empty. Since the press no longer hung around, I for one joined in with my neighbours, tending to my own garden in the backyard as well; the one I had created when I was a child of nine. Planting new flowers every year for the right seasons, it assisting me find some type of joy in my confused, miserable and saddened life, it helping me bring joy somehow, even a little bit did help. The flowers I had only recently planted bloomed rather nicely already, for I placed them deep in the ground only a few months ago, trying to take my mind off the tragedy of my own life, my crumbling life that seemed to keep falling apart. With my friends all vanishing, all being taken away from me. I knew it was all my fault, I couldn't get away from that. No one thought it was my fault, no one blamed me. However I didn't need them to, for I blamed myself all on my own. That was enough for me.

Stepping into the kitchen, the brightening sun shining through the window, a beautiful view of the backyard garden that had grown and flourished over the years. The slight breeze glistering over the bright colours and blooming petals, the roses my favourite as the peony's were also a very close second. The dahlia's I had just planted opening up and growing more than ever, I was surprised by how much they had grown. It was a very pretty sight.