The Third Day

I stormed through the halls as the bell rang overhead for lunch, trying to beat the crowd and rush with my lunch bag snuggled deep in my bag already. I planned it very well, as I created a thought-out plan to skip the bellowing crowd of students during each class change. Peering at the clocks which was usually a few minutes ahead in almost every class, I waited until it was past five minutes till the usual class change, ask to use the washroom, and I would book it down the school towards whatever class I had next, waiting patiently by the door and beat the crowds as the bell shot loud over the intercom, reading to switch classes. It worked rather well most of the time, however at points there were times when I had to unfortunately scatter amongst the crowds in the hallways, the stares stinging and piercing my skin as I could feel eyes burning on me, like always. I hated those time's, feeling as if I'd rather crawl into a hole and die, or just turn invisible completely. I would have loved that.

Before lunch everyday I had science, however for the last five minutes all anyone did was sit around talking to one another, waiting so desperately for the bell to ring. Some of my teachers knew my routine already, as they would even go as far as giving me a signal for when I could leave, nodding my head as a thanks. All the teachers hired in the school knew my situation, for they understood completely why I hated the crowds. There had been times in class the teachers had to tell students to keep their eyes at the front of the room, for many had fallen upon myself, and they knew how uncomfortable I could get.

"Class, the notes are at the front of the room, not where Mallory is sitting." I had heard that one a few times, however most of those phrases were spoken years ago, when I was still in middle school, when the majority of the attention was placed on me. However I still received that attention, just not at full force like before.

I had gone to my locker first, stuffing my lunch in my black bag wrapped around my shoulder, slamming it shut as I realized the bell would ring at any second. Too soon the seconds ticked by, as the monstrous bell buzzed over head, causing me to practically run down the hall. I wasn't into eating in the lunch room, surrounded by even more people from the high school as that would cause even more stares. No thanks. I booked it towards another room, one on the very level I was reaching at the time, hearing people shout at each other with laughter and jokes, I tried to ignore as I knew the room, my destination was coming up to my left. Students clearing out of the room as I approached, until soon no one else remained, and I took the opportunity to enter, only the teacher sitting in her desk, marking some papers. I felt at ease as I finally entered the room, the quietness as I closed the door behind me, muffling the sound as if the room and door was sound proof.

"Hey you," the teacher, Mrs. Reid smiled towards me as the closing of her door caught her attention, a small smirk crossing my face as a gesture back.

"Hi," I spoke, making my way across her neat and tidy room, for she was sort of a neat freak this teacher. She was my math teacher, as I didn't enjoy the class and work at all, however she was the only thing I enjoyed about the class. She was a great math teacher, she really did know her stuff—obviously—however she knew how to explain it as well. She explained things that made it easier to understand, in which I was very grateful for. But unlike most math teachers, she had a nice personality as well. She was a teacher in her thirties I think, super friendly, nice, but also funny in a way. She was my favourite teacher of all. And the most important thing, she understood me. She knew almost everything about me, for there were times at lunch I had gone over details about the things I had experienced for the past six years, she was an awful great listener. Giving me advice on a few things, as I believe I was the only student she let eat in her class. Especially at lunch. I was the exception, for there were times she had to grade papers and get things done, and I only sat quietly eating my lunch. However even during those times, we spoke an awful lot.