Chapter Twenty Three

Start from the beginning

"We were waiting until you got back so we can go visit him in the facility before we need to pack for tomorrow. His mom told the reception that we were coming." William tells me and picks up his car keys from the kitchen island.

"He hid it so well. Why couldn't he tell us?" My voice cracks even when I will it not to. Hunter runs a hand up and down my back. "It's unfair. We get to sit in here and go to basketball games whilst he's stuck there for something he couldn't tell us about. He might have come clean to us if I hadn't freaked him out so much. I should've been there for him like he was there for me. We could've done better-"

"Lollipops," I'm stopped by Hunter, "we did our best." A kiss is pressed to the top of my head and continues holds me close.

"It wasn't enough. He was hurting." I wish I were strong enough to will away the tears. All I can picture is Jake unconscious in his car, blood rushing from his forehead and the seatbelt being the only thing keeping him safe from a fall.

"You did the best you could. You were trying to help but he shut you out. He needs to be the one to help himself now."

Hunter's words can't stop my guilt. I'd caused the accident, and pushed him too far.

"Do you want to go see him?" He keeps his voice gentle while his fingers drawl patterns on my hip which successfully distracts me.

I nod and raise my hand to wipe the few tears which had fought their way out. Hunter takes his arms away from my body but places hands each side of my face. His thumbs wipe my cheeks.

He's delicate with me. I cannot believe the boy in front of me is the one who I judged so quickly. I saw him as a beast from a fairytale, but I've learnt that Hunter Kings is actually a gentle giant.

I feel comfortable about him- more myself that I've ever felt. He's a euphoria that I chase for more.

Hunter leans down, pressing his lips to mine for a soft kiss. My body begins functioning again. Like always, my blood heats and my chest feels capable of breathing again.

I don't think I'll ever be able to become use to the feel of kissing him. Every time his mouth parts from mine, I crave more.

William stands awkwardly by the door, scrolling on his phone with his lips sucked in as if he was ready to burst with laughter.

"Let's go see him." Hunter slides his hand in my much smaller one, fingers lacing through each other's.

"What if he is mad at us? Or me for the accident?" I start panicking again the moment we leave the apartment.

"He won't be mad." William says. "He might be a bit distant at first like you were the first time we visited you in hospital. As for the accident, he has no right to be mad at you. He put you both at risk that day."

I bite down on my lip. "Everything will be okay, Lollipops. Things take time." Hunter squeezes my hand. He's been using my nickname so much the past few days that I've adjusted to it.

Healing does take time. I know it first hand. "All he needs to know right now is that we're here for him." William forces a smile on his face to match his words, but I can see just how worried he is.

"What about his parents?" The doubts keep slipping out of my mouth. "Do they both care? His mom is with him, but what about his dad? Do you think-"

"Lollipops-" Hunter stops my rambling as we exit the elevator. He cups my cheek and makes us stop in the parking lot, and I hear William quietly groan. "The best we can do is be there for him to know he has our support. As long as we do, he will be okay."