Best Friends/Soulmate au

Castiel and Dean have been best friends since they were kids. Castiel is a nerd, Dean is a popular jock. They're starting their second day as seniors at a new school. Dean is 18, Castiel is turning 18. They got their own apartment in another city, which is why they're going to a new school. When one soulmate becomes 18, they get an engraving that will match their soulmates.

•~•~•~•~•~•

*Castiel's POV*

"Dee, I don't know about this. You're already popular and we've been there for one day," I sigh.

"So? We're seniors, Cass. Live a little, get out of the library," Dean tells me.

"Dee, I feel safe there. People like you don't come in there," I tell him.

"What are you saying? I hang out in there with you sometimes," Dean says.

"No, I mean the rude stuck-up popular people. Of course you wouldn't, because you're not like that. Popular people are generally rude to people like me," I tell him.

"If they say anything to you, just let me know and I'll deal with them," Dean says.

"Yeah, okay," I sigh.

We pull up to the school and hop out of Dean's Impala. "I'll meet you at lunch outside of the library, okay?" I nod my head in agreement, and he walks off. I walk into the school and take a deep breath.

•••

"Hey, Cass!" Charlie yells, running over to me as I stand outside the library. I'm currently waiting for Dean, since he said last night that he didn't want to eat the horrible school food. And since he didn't want to go alone, he immediately told me I have to go with him.

"Hello, Charlie," I reply. "Can you not call me 'Cass'? It's just, I don't like that nickname unless it's my best friend saying it." Charlie quickly nodded, while looking at me as if to say 'I'm sorry'. "So, where's Kevin?"

"Probably still in the library, studying his ass off," Charlie says.

"It's the second day of school though?" I ask.

"You've known him for one day, Castiel. Don't expect to know everything," she said matter-of-factly.

"You're right," I reply.

"So, why aren't you in the cafeteria with me? When I didn't see Kevin, I knew it was normal. But I don't know much about you, so I wanted to see the hold up."

"I'm waiting for someone," I say, not meeting her gaze. I didn't want people at school to know I was Dean's best friend because they'd always somehow figure out a way to blackmail me, like in our old school. I'd get bullied, which Dean has no clue about. That's basically the only thing I kept from him, besides the fact that I cut and have feelings for him. He doesn't even know I'm gay, which is the hardest thing of all. After years of friendship it could all be thrown away because of my sexuality. The worst thing, though, is when I'd hear Dean having sex in the other room. We lived here for three weeks before enrolling ourselves into the school we're in now. It was easy to get in, seeing as school was just starting. So we started with everyone else. Being here for three weeks certainly helped him with the ladies, especially the ones at school. They knew he was just looking for a one night stand - not that I ever knew why - but they don't care. They just want to be able to say 'I got fucked by Dean Winchester'. And if I'm honest, I wish I could say that too.

"Who are you waiting for?" Charlie asks, pulling me out of my thoughts.

My phone buzzes, so I quickly slide it out of my pocket. Charlie bounces over to me, trying to peer over at the text.