Chapter 5

Ebony had to stop herself from collapsing after she finally reached the top of the stairs leading up to Jaxon's apartment. Why he had to live at the top of a twenty storey apartment building, she had no idea. The only thing that kept her going was her need for answers.

Jaxon opened the door before she put her hand anywhere near it.

"Hey." he said casually, but anyone could hear the nervousness in his tone.

"You don't really want to tell me, do you?" she asked him.

"Well, I kind of have to now, don't I?"

"Yep." she paused, waiting for him to invite her in, so after he didn't, she said, "Should we go in?"

"Oh! Yeah, sure." he replied, and they went in.

Ebony was, to say the least, disappointed. The furniture was old and crumbly, there were empty McDonalds packets littering the coffee table, and there appeared to be no bathroom.

"So spill it." Ebony unwillingly blurted out.

"Okay," Jaxon started. "Here we go."

"In 1755, there was a big war between two families of your kind. There were the Whites, and the Blacks. As their names might suggest, they were the good side and the bad side. The Blacks won, and they continued to reproduce many more people like you."

"Okay, just one question." Ebony interrupted. "What is my kind actually called?"

"I'll get there soon. Anyway, in 1830, the White family resurfaced, and destroyed all people with the surname Black. Consequently, they became evil in the process.

"The last White child was a girl called Crystal White. If you don't know her, I will be highly surprised."

Ebony found herself speechless. After about five minutes, she finally rediscovered her vocals.

"My mother." she whispered.

"Yes. She was the one who names your kind." he paused before continuing. "She called them the Unidentifiables."

When Jaxon saw that her face was draining of its colour, he laid her down on the grubby carpet, gently rubbing her forehead.

"Jaxon," Ebony almost whimpered. "I still don't get why you're my guardian."

"All Unidentifiable women have one."

"Who was my mother's?"

"Your father."

"What?"

Before she could say anything else, his lips were on hers, and he was whispering something against her mouth.

"You are so beautiful."