36: The Ring

Landon's POV

There was no way I could tell Marley that the main part of my conversation with her father was about me proposing to her. It was true that Gus, which he had insisted I call him after the whole Mack incident, had called to congratulate Marley and I on moving in together and make some serious threat about what'll happen to me if I upset her, but that conversation only lasted a few seconds. After I assured Gus that I'd treat Marley with respect, I mean how could I not when she was as amazing as she was (and she'd shut me down in a heartbeat if I was ever out of line) I brought up my plans to ask Marley to marry me. I mostly talked while Gus listened and assure me that I had his support. He even encouraged me and reassured me when I started thinking maybe it was still too soon.

So Marley and I made our way around town to look at houses and apartments to rent together. Neither of us had enough money to buy a house, and we didn't want to take on that responsibility anyway. We found a few places to our liking. Marley was almost dead set on this small house not too far away from the downtown area. I could already tell she was going to convince me to choose that one, so I saved her the time and agreed.

"I like this place a lot, and if you love it, why not go for it?" I said.

Marley smiled, hugged me and then kissed me. We contacted the people who owned the house and were told we could move in within the month. Luckily for us no one else had put in an offer to rent the place, so there was no competition. I wondered why that was because it was pretty nice and in a good location, but I didn't dwell on it or anything.

Marley and I spent the next two weeks packing our things from our houses, and from her parents and my grandparents, and moved it all into our new home, together. It was almost surreal how we would be living together from now on. I was ecstatic and I could tell Marley was as well, but I couldn't tell if it was the fact we'd living together or she just really liked the house.

"This is so nice," she commented after we had moved all the furniture inside.

"It really is. Everything is coming together now that it isn't empty," I added.

Marley made her way over to me for a hug and I wrapped my arm around her shoulders. She leaned her head on my shoulder and smiled. I thought about the ring I had in my pocket. I wanted to ask her right then and there. I knew she wouldn't care much about the location, as long as I wasn't asking in a dump or something, but it also felt right in this moment. With my free hand, I stuck it in my pocket and fumbled around for the ring Grams had given to me years ago. I held it in my hand and thought about asking the question.

"Hey, Landon. I have something to tell you. It's kinda important," Marley said ambiguously.

"I have something I wanted to ask you, too," I said.

"Okay, on the count of three?"

"On the count of three."

Marley seemed a little nervous, which made me more nervous than I already was, but we had already agreed to speak on the count of three, so there was no backing out now. We both counted to three at the same time, then spoke.

"Would you marry me?"

"I'm pregnant," we said.

Both of us were stunned and could hardly believe our ears. I had quickly brought my hand up holding the ring out when I asked the question, and Marley was only just noticing it as my words sunk in. Marley looked down at the ring in my hand and I looked down at her stomach. She was pregnant. With a baby. With our baby. A big smile spread across my face and at the same time, I looked into Marley's eyes, a smile spread onto hers.

"Of course I'll marry you," Marley finally said.

"I love you so damn much," I said and hugged and kissed her. "How long have you known?"

"A month and a half. I'm three months pregnant. It must have happened when I was switching my birth control. I was late, and then really late on my period so I took a test just to make sure, and it came back positive. Since it was so early on, I waited and took it again a month later when my period still hadn't come. I didn't want it to be a mistake, so I waited to tell you."

"I'm so happy right now. I love you Marley Parker."

"And I love you Landon West."

We spent the rest of the day moving and then the rest of the week unpacking and arranging and then rearranging our things. Marley said she wanted to go around to our families and see if they'd notice the engagement ring. And she wanted to wait to tell people she was pregnant until it showed a bit more. I was on cloud nine, so whatever she wanted I went with wholeheartedly.

Grams noticed right away when we walked through the door, which I wasn't super surprised about since she was the one who gave me the ring in the first place. Grandpa noticed quicker than either of us thought he would. Marley and I had actually bet how long we thought it'd take for Grandpa to notice. I guessed it'd take him at least thirty minutes, and that was after we had sat down at the table for dinner. Marley guessed it take him thirty minutes after we walked in through the door. It only took him ten minutes to notice and say something.

Grandpa grabbed Marley's hand and looked closely at the ring before smiling and congratulating us. Marley gave him an unexpected hug, which he returned and then he came and patted me on the back. It was a great night.

We had picked the perfect time to go over to the Parker residence for dinner because Emrys, her partner Clara, and JayJay were all home. Marley and I hadn't seen Emrys for almost a year, but that didn't stop her from seeing the ring on Marley's finger. In fact, Emrys and Clara were engaged as well and getting married next spring.

"Have you two set a date yet?" Emrys asked.

"We haven't, but I'd like to make it soon. I don't really want a big wedding anyway, so there's no need to waste time or plan much," Marley answered. "You're fine with that right?" she asked me.

"Yeah, of course. I just want Grams and Grandpa to be there," I said.

"What about your mom?" Marley asked.

"I called her, but I don't know what her schedule is."

"I'm sure she'll come out for her only son's wedding, right? Plus she's still trying to reconnect with you, even if it is very very slowly."

I held Marley's hand and kissed it. JayJay noticed the moment he came into the room. He told us he could sense something was going on from his room and had to come out and investigate. Gus and Mara, Marley's mom, took a little longer to notice, but when they did, their reactions were hilarious. I expected Gus to not be all that surprised since I had talked to him about it not that long ago, but he seemed genuinely surprised, and happy, that we were engaged.

Dinner that night was loud and rowdy with two of the Parker children engaged and set to be married both within a year. After hours of talking, everyone agreed that Marley and my wedding should be set in mid September just outside of town. Emrys, Marley, JayJay, and Gus all spent most of their time talking about the details of both weddings and who was to be invited. Through all that planning, Mara, Clara and I sat and listened mostly or chatted amongst ourselves.