10: Bored

It was a sudden question that sounded rushed and desperate; like Landon needed to know the answer. Since Grams left, I could tell Landon was a little worried or uncomfortable, probably because she was keeping the conversation going before. Both Gramps and Landon weren't much of small talkers, so I could tell they relied heavily on Grams in situations like this. And now with Grams gone, Landon had to keep the conversation going. But he really didn't have to, since I should have already gone back to school. It was looking like I was just going to have to miss the class altogether rather than showing up late. I could have told him I had to go, but why not stay a little longer?

"I'm not sure, but quite a few," I finally answered.

I was tempted to lift up my shirt and actually count, but I knew that'd make Landon uncomfortable and it would look weird if Gramps or Grams decided to join us again. Plus, if I was going to show any of the three people in this house right now, it'd be Landon. Grams already saw some of my scars, but she didn't need to see more. I could tell she didn't like seeing them on me when she saw them at the hospital and then again when we were talking about them a week ago.

"So, more than the one's Grams saw?" he asked.

"Yes."

"Did you get them all from business associates of your family's?"

"I'm pretty sure, yeah. I think there are one or two from really bad scraped knees or something when I was a kid, but the rest are from within the last five years and are related to my family's business."

"And you said you aren't part of the business?"

"Nope. I've never been interested in being a part of it, and anyway, I'm always dragged into it so I can only imagine how troublesome it'd become if I was actually doing deals and stuff."

"So what kind of business do your parents run?"

"Honestly, I'm not completely sure. I know for a fact we don't deal with drugs. Actually, JayJay wants in on the action, so for now he's going to be part of the business and carry it on in the family. Emrys is a little interested, I think she does a little business on the side while traveling abroad."

Landon was quiet for a moment taking what I said in. I just sat there on the couch looking around their living room. My class was over half way through, so there was no point in leaving now to go. At this point, I was just going to wait it out until my shift at work started, as long as Landon and his grandparents didn't mind my staying.

I did end up staying until I had to leave for work. Grams came back out after checking up on Gramps not long after Landon stopped asking questions. Grams brought us some hot chocolate and some apple slices with peanut butter. So now I didn't have to worry about staring while working at least.

"Are you sure you can't stay for dinner?" Grams asked as I gathered all my things in order to leave.

"I would, really, but I have work soon, so I'd better make my way over there," I replied.

"Landon, why don't you walk with her? Who knows what kind of creeps are out at this time of day, what with daylight savings and all, it's so dark out already."

"I'll be totally fine, but come if you want Landon."

Landon thought for a moment but decided to tag along. He got his shoes on while I waited by the front door. Gramps made a brief appearance to say goodbye to Landon and I. It was a quiet walk to the convenience store, but it passed by quickly that way, so it wasn't an awkward silence but rather a comforting silence. Landon said a quick goodbye and I waved and walked into the back of the store. He really was so strange and interesting.