“Your nails look nice.” I told her.

“Thank you babe.” she said,” I figured if Dee saw my nails and hair and saw how messed up they were she wouldn’t let me into her funeral.”

I looked at her and laughed.  “Yeah you’re probably right.”

Once she fixed me up we started following the crowd inside.  My goal today was to make sure I was by Melanie’s side the whole time.  But after the way she has been acting today, I am probably the one who is going to need a angel to get through this.  As I walked in with her, Melanie reached for my hand and held it tight.

“Don’t let go.” she said to me.

I looked at her and leaned in to whisper in her ear,” Never.”

After entering the funeral parlor and waiting in line to pay our respects, it was now our turn.  I squeezed Melanie’s hand and we both walked to the casket, where a very beautiful Dee laid in it.

“She looks beautiful.” I whispered.

“Yeah she does.  It looks like she is asleep.” Melanie said as tears went down her face.

She reached her hand out towards dee and held it very softly yet firm.  I could feel the tears flowing down my own face, but I tried to hold them back.  I tried to do this for Melanie, so she would be able to get through this in one piece.  Mel eventually let go of Dee, saying her goodbyes, and we took our seats in a row right behind Sherrell, Chi Chi, and Henry by Chi Chi’s side.  A few other kids from our school showed up too, each grieving in their own way.  Melanie rested her head on my arm, and I moved to wrap my arm around her.  Throughout the service I could feel her shaking from time to time, crying in my arms.  Before I knew it, the service was over and Melanie and I were back in my car heading home.

“I don’t want to go home.” she spoke.

“Okay.” I said simply.

I drove past the way to Melanie’s house and continued heading north.  I decided go to dairy queen and buy some ice cream for us.  When I got back in the car with teh ice cream Mel simply looked at me.

“What?” I asked.

“Why ice cream?” she asked amused.

“It’s saturday.” I shrugged.

I put the ice cream down and then thats when i heard it. Her laugh. She laughed a real hard, loud laugh. I looked in amazement as she held her stomach and leaned forward in her seat, gasping for air.

“What is so funny?” I asked.