Chapter 1

I hate the cold.  I hate the cold.  I hate the freakin cold!  I can not help myself from chanting these words over and over in my head as I wait for my ride to school.  It is too early for this shit anyway.  Whoever came up with the great idea for school to start at 7:30am five days a week needs to be locked out their house ass naked at 2 o'clock in the morning.  Not to mention my ride is not exactly dependable.   I tried to check my hair using my phone one last time.  The wind kept blowing and was messing it up.  Going natural is work.  I just straightened my hair last night and put it in a nice bun.  It better stay that way.  

I say this just when my ride decides to pull up.  I see the whole family in the car as their black car comes into view.  Miss Emma and her three kids all piled in and I struggle trying to fit my huge thighs into the back seat with the youngest and middle child.   

"Morning"  I say to everyone as I get in the car.

"Morning." Is what everyone says in response.

Thats the best I can get out of all of them so I’ll take it.  I look out the window as the 6th grader next to me, the youngest one Drew, starts coughing so hard and loud it gets to the point where I think I am going to get sick.  It is as if I can feel the germs coming onto my arm as he continues to cough as Miss Emma pulls off.  The morning ritual was hectic.  I do not know how we do this shit every morning, but the way things works is I wait outside my house every morning at 7-7:10am and wait for the family around the corner to get in the car and pull up to get me.  We drop the youngest one off at the middle school near the middle of town.  Then we go up the hill and the oldest daughter Cat, her brother Luke, and myself get out at the high school.  From there Miss Emma goes rushing off to work.  Every morning she complains about how she is running late to work and blah blah blah. Sorry to say but how is your schedule going to change if you don't adjust it?

I say bye to Luke and Cat as we walk into the building and I go looking for my friends.  As usual, they are all in the hallway outside the cafeteria eating breakfast.   I try to rush over, hoping that the breakfast line is still open.

“What time is it?” I ask as I come running over to my friends.  

They are so used to this because I am always running late for breakfast.

“It’s 7:18.  You better hurry in there.  The line closes in 2 minutes.”  My friend Dee says.

I throw all of my stuff down in the hallway by my friends and go running into the cafeteria.  Of course the line is long and the security is right there, ready to shut the shit down.  I try squeezing in as they close the doors to the lunch line, but they were not letting me.  Bastards.

“Oh come on.” I say along with a bunch of other people.

Security closed the line and I am left standing there angry, cold, and hungry.  Just as everyone who was  unlucky enough to not get on the line walks away, I notice one of the doors to the breakfast line open up.  I look and see a boy about 5’8, light brown shaggy hair, and a cute smirk peek his head through the door.  I look at him weirdly as he keeps motioning for me to come closer to him.  That is when I catch the hint that he was going to sneak me onto the line while security had their backs turned.  I looked over my shoulder one time before quickly walking through the door the boy held open for me and squeeze in for him to shut.