First Glance

It's not everyday that you feel like you have met the love of your life. For me, it was on December 2nd. I met a man, Shawn. Shawn was tall, brown with skin as smooth as a baby. His smile was enamoring. He had beautifully straight teeth and his smile was so big, it made his eyes squint. He had turned his head and looked my way through the sea of people we were surrounded by.

I could hear the kids on the stage singing and dancing as parents clapped there  hands together, rooting for their children

I could hear the kids on the stage singing and dancing as parents clapped there hands together, rooting for their children. I pulled away from his gaze and focused back on my angel on the stage, my son, Erin. He was the light of my life. He was four years old and had the cutest baby face. He was in his own world as I watched him dance and sing with his class. My son was a darker version of me, with Hershey's skin and big brown eyes. It was just me and him, since his father passed and I can say I've grown to love it just being us. The children finished their number and the curtains came down as the children held hands and took a bow. I took no time grabbing my purse and making my way backstage to see Erin.

I brushed past many people until I bumped into HIM

I brushed past many people until I bumped into HIM. There he was, the man whose eyes had been burning a hole in my face the whole night.

"I'm so sorry. I tried to squeeze by." I said giving him a half-ass smile.

"No problem." He stepped aside and smiled at me.

I quickly walked pass and went backstage. I looked around for Erin, until I heard his little voice.

"Mommy, mommy," He came running to me with his arms out.

I picked him up and spun him around. "Hi, my baby. You did so good. I'm so proud of you."

He was grinning from ear to ear. I carried him on my hip as he wrapped one arm around my neck.

"You did so good. I think maybe we should get some ice cream."

"Ooooo yes yes." He started screaming.

I put him down and he started dragging my hand towards the exit. I laughed at his excitement. I scanned the room one more time as we left and saw the man once more, but this time he was holding a little girl in the air. I remembered her as one of Erin's classmates.