Chapter 16: Nathan (Part 2)

Donovan had asked if Nathan wanted him to come with when he asked Ian to play with them, but Nathan knew how they didn't get along

Donovan had asked if Nathan wanted him to come with when he asked Ian to play with them, but Nathan knew how they didn't get along. It would be better if he talked to Ian alone, though potentially traumatizing. The man had gotten exceptionally needy since they'd started sleeping in separate rooms. Sometimes, like today, Nathan hid in his room to avoid Ian being all over him, but he crawled down to the living room to find the man in his normal recliner. The man took one look at him, smiled, and went to stand.

"W-wait," Nathan said nervously, and Ian sank back into the chair. "I actually came down to ask you something." Nathan was surprised that he didn't hear the squeak of the tight joint in Ian's neck as he craned it in his direction. It was rare he asked Ian for much of anything except to leave him unmolested.

"Sure," Ian answered, eyeing him suspiciously.

"Would you come play at the basketball court with us today?"

Nathan was sure he'd asked without too much trepidation, but Ian's expression crinkled in displeasure. Ian made a sound, sort of like a sigh, maybe a gasped breath of agony. Nathan was unsure which as Ian slid his hand up his face

"Nathan... I'm not good with other people. I really don't think I should be around goody-two-shoes-better-than-the-rest-of-us-Donovan."

Nathan chuckled, and Ian's grimace lifted into a tepid smile.

"I..." Nathan reddened. "I want to spend time with you, but it doesn't seem to go well when we're alone. I thought if perhaps we could play with everyone, it might go better."

"Who exactly would I be playing with?" Ian asked as he stood.

It was even harder for Nathan to stand his ground as Ian took a few steps and stopped directly in front of him. Instead of his usual smirk, Ian had a contemplative, yet what appeared to be frustrated, expression. Nathan knew the man hid himself in the house for the most part, but was spending time with other people that frightening to him?

"Well, I play with Donovan, a neighborhood girl named Rachel, and like a dozen other guys from her gang. I think it might be nice if you got out of the house every once in a while."

"Donovan knows about this?" Ian asked with worry on his features.

"Yes. So do Rachel's friends. She told me to warn you that they are high school boys and might poke fun at you."

"Like I give a shit if some brats spit shit. Fucking kids have nothing better to do than trample on others until they get out into the real world and realize not everyone is as defenseless as they thought. Without the protective confines of the state education system, the world chews up and spits out just about everyone who was popular in high school."

"Ian, they're not that bad. A little scary on the outside, but they're friendly and not at all bullies. Can you try to be friendly?"

"Fine." Ian walked past him to put on his coat and then turned back to him, waiting. "Ladies first," he gestured to the door, and it wasn't like Nathan hadn't heard that one before.