Gone

Fredrick Chase knew all about the spiders. How wouldn't he? After all, they inhabited his nightmares too.
In fact, he knew everything - the spiders coming, the cobwebs, the bites, Helen's refusal to believe his daughter, everything. So why did he pretend not to? Why did he side with his wife, not his daughter?
Maybe it was just that he finally wanted to be normal - have a normal life, a normal family. But was that it?
Athena had told him that Annabeth would be a great hero. This is what bothered him the most. He knew what happened to great heroes - death. If he became attached to his daughter, he would feel pain when she died, which was soon, she was a demigod after all. Annabeth was not a package of pride like Athena claimed, she would bring about misery.
But then his heart softened. He remembered what his daughter had excitedly told him yesterday - she had won the first prize in an international quiz competition. At the time he had shown no emotion, he barely even looked at her. Now he wondered if it was wrong to show even a little appreciation.
He stopped his car and went to buy Annabeth's favorite chocolate, the one that made her eyes sparkle.
As soon as he reached home, he went to Annabeth's room.
"Annabeth", he whispered," Look what I got for you."
There was no response. He uncovered the sheets. There was no one there. He searched the whole house but there was no sign of her.
Annabeth was gone. And it was all because of him.