Chapter 13 - Redefined

Start from the beginning

“Enough games girl, we have to move.” He tried to tug and I looked at him and acted as though I couldn’t even open my mouth as sounds escaped.

He glanced from me to his partner. “Rubella, you’re wasting time!”

“I’m not doing a damn thing, it’s that child. She’s more trouble than she’s worth. We should kill her now it won’t stop him. Nothing will stop him.”

I couldn’t see either of their faces and I had no idea if he bought her story but my plan was working. Slowly I was gathering more intel. Firstly, Rubella was that messed up broad’s name. Whoever wanted me, wanted me unharmed and whoever he was is definitely a threat. This made something inside of me quiver. I sure as hell hoped that Perseus would find a way to get to me before he did.

“Cut the crap or I will end your life here and now. I will gladly sacrifice you if it gives the rest of us a chance.” He growled as his voice echoed in the woods around us. We were now walking down a single dirt path and in the distance I could see some sort of warehouse. A strange place in the middle of the deserted area like this.

I began to move as though she had stopped whatever it was she was doing and turned around to look at the two of them. Clearly he bought my act and I hid the fact that I was so smug about it. Rubella however, bore her hate-filled eyes on me and I knew if she had the chance she’d likely kill me. I just needed to stay on this guy’s good side until I figured out a better escape route.

There was something dark and musty about the warehouse. Everything around it looked as dead at the building itself. It wreaked of death, when another scent caught wind- dozens of smells that reflected the scents of these two fumbling puppets. It must be more vampires, but they didn’t smell like Perseus and I. They almost reaked of a foul, life-less odor. Damp, musty and dead. Something about this place gave me the chills. I wanted to close my eyes and wish all of this away. Surely whatever life I had before this wasn’t nearly as absurd as what’s been happening to me lately.

I dragged one foot in front of the other as we entered the warehouse and to my dismay, the smell was nothing compared to the looks of this place. Not in my wildest dreams had I imagined something so terrifying that it made me want to drop to the ground and not look up. The rotten smell was corpses that were scattered across the entrance. The navy, metallic walls were covered in blood and dirt with words smeared in blood covering the entire walls. “Repent”, “Sins”, “God’s grace”, “kill”, “eat” and “live” were written everywhere. I felt bile rise to my throat. Was this my fate? How could Perseus seem so normal for someone that wasn’t, and how could these creatures live like this. They were so.....inhumane. I almost wanted to let out a laugh, I was now one of them.

There were bodies strung to the ceiling as we made our way down a small corridor leading to a shaft. The hallway had several doors shut and the eerie silence followed us as the echo of our footsteps followed us. Trying not to look around but failing miserably, this bleak  and obscure hell hole burned into my mind more clearly the longer I looked at it. In the Elevator the smell lessened as we went further and further down.

“She thinks she’s better than us.” Rubella remarked as she turned her nose down on me.

Wickham looked back at me and smiled apologetically. “What you’re about to see, well don’t let it scare you. Not all of us change that quickly.”

I didn’t know what he meant, changed into what more quickly? Weren’t we vampires and didn’t that just end there? I didn’t want to ask or say anything that might give away my position so instead I settled for biting my tongue and wondered what could scare me more than the entrance to this place. When the elevator swung open, I thought I was going to pass out.