19. Afternoon Nap

Patrick

It was weird how easily I opened up to Bennett. I've never been that open with anyone before, at least, anyone who wasn't family. Yet I've only known Bennett for a few days and already he knows about the one thing I try to forget about.

I don't know why I told him. I guess, despite having just met him, I trusted him. I knew about his past, and now he knows about mine.

After that conversation last night, neither of us brought it up again. Especially not my comment about being glad I didn't kill myself because I got to meet him. That was embarrassing, but what was even worse was me getting up and leaving immediately after saying it. I knew he would take it the wrong way, which is why I didn't let him say anything. Hopefully he would just forget I said it and move on.

So far, it seemed like it was working.

It was late afternoon and all three of us were actually all in the apartment at the same time. Theresa insisted on watching a movie and Bennett and I both agreed. What else was there to do anyway?

So there we were, me and Bennett on the couch and Theresa curled up on her bean bag chair. About halfway through the movie, Bennett leaned his head on my shoulder, asleep. He was apparently up really early this morning for work and it obviously tired him out.

By the time the movie ended, Bennett was still fast asleep. I didn't want to move, afraid that I would bother him. As Theresa reached for the remote, she noticed how we were situated and laughed quietly.

"Comfy?" she asked me, whispering.

I shook my head. I hadn't moved in over an hour and my arm fell asleep a while ago. "I don't want to wake him up."

"How much do you like him?"

I blinked. "What?" What kind of question was that? Why would she ask me that?

"I know you've been hitting on him. Is that serious or do you just want to fuck him and move on?"

I sighed. "I think I do. Like him, I mean. But I haven't liked someone like this in years and I don't know what I'm doing. I know he's not the hookup type of guy, but that's all I'm used to now."

Bennett shifted and I immediately shut up. I hoped he didn't hear what we were talking about. It was bad enough admitting to Theresa, but having Bennett hear it too would be so much worse.

It took another minute before he sat up, rubbing his eyes. Then he realized where he had been sleeping. "Oh my god, I'm so sorry, Pat. I didn't mean to fall asleep on you."

I gave him a small smile. "Don't worry about it. You missed the end of the movie, though."

He moved a bit further away from me and I felt slightly hurt, not that I let it show. "I've just been so exhausted," he said. "I haven't been getting a lot of sleep at night. Too much on my mind."

"It's not because of your mom, is it?" Theresa asked. "I thought you were on better terms with her now?"

He shook his head. "She's not the problem. I just keep thinking about my ex and I don't know what's going on with him anymore. Part of me still loves him and I felt so guilty last night when I didn't answer my phone when he called, but that's because I also sort of hate him now too, you know?"

"He called you?" I asked. "What did he want? Did he leave a message?"

"No. Probably just wants to make sure I'm doing okay again. He keeps doing that like he still cares about me, even though he's the one who left me. It's not fair."

"Block his number," Theresa said. "It's the best way to get him to stop calling you like that."

Bennett shrugged. "I guess."

At that moment, my phone chimed with a text message. I grabbed it, thinking it was probably important. Not many people text me very often.

To my surprise, it was more major than just simply important.

I jumped up from the couch, my eyes still on Joey's text. "My cousin's going into labor," I announced. "I gotta go."

I knew this day was coming, but now that it was here, I didn't know what to think. All I knew was that I had to go to the hospital. I needed to be there for Kat.

I rushed into my bedroom and fumbled for my sneakers. My hands were shaking so badly and I wasn't even the one having this kid. I don't know why I was suddenly so nervous.

With my jacket pulled up one arm, I ran out of my room. I snatched my keys off the table next to the door, but promptly dropped them. I bent over to pick them back up, but kept dropping them.

"Oh my god, just let me drive you," Theresa said, coming over to grab my keys off the floor. "You're going to get yourself into an accident before you even get there."

I nodded my head. "That's probably a good idea." I'm sure Kat and Joey wouldn't mind if Theresa came too. And Bennett. "You can come too, if you want, Bennett."

"Really?" he said, smiling. "Okay." It was the first time I saw him really smile all day. It made me smile too. He was immediately on his feet and putting on his own shoes. I guess he was excited to come.

Twenty minutes later, we were just getting to the hospital. The three of us hurried inside and up to the third floor where Kat and Joey were. In the waiting room, I found my parents and Kat's parents, which wasn't a surprise. Joey probably told them all first.

After all the hellos were said between me and my aunt and uncle, my mother approached me. "I'm glad you could make it," Mom said, giving me a hug. "I've missed you."

I wiggled out of her grasp. "Mom, it's been a week."

"I know, but you're still my little boy. How's the new place? Your roommates nice?"

"Uh, actually..." I turned and pointed out Theresa and Bennett, who were still over by the entrance to the waiting room. "They came with me."

Mom was waving them over to us when the elevator dinged. When the doors opened, Andy and Shawn came out. My heart sunk. Of course they would be here. Why wouldn't they?

Bennett walked up next to me. "You know, glaring at him isn't going to make him go away," he said.

I shook my head, tearing my eyes away from Shawn to look at Bennett. "I'm not glaring. I don't even know him."

Bennett laughed at my obvious lie when my aunt went over to hug them both. "So that's not your ex who's marrying your cousin's best friend?"

I sat in the closest chair. Bennett sat next to me. "Shut up," I said.

"You know it's okay to not be over him. I know it's been a long time, but you're entitled to your feelings. Although glaring at him every time he walks into the room isn't exactly the best way to handle it." Bennett leaned his head on my shoulder. "Someone is out there for you, Pat. I know he's there. We'll both find our perfect guy someday. That's the only thing that's helping me through this, so I hope it can help you too."