23. Catching Feelings

Patrick

I was lounging on the couch playing games on my phone with some movie playing on the TV when Bennett, Theresa, and some other girl walked in, all wearing workout gear. The three of them were laughing about something or other, not even noticing that I was there.

I watched Bennett. I hadn't seen him at all since I left his bedroom last night. I so desperately wanted to know where we stood now, but I was afraid to bring it up with him. He was so adamant about what happened being no-strings-attached that bringing it up might just ruin everything. I didn't want that.

"Hey, Pat," Theresa said, setting her gym bag down by her doorway. "What are you watching?"

I shrugged. "No clue. It's mostly background noise."

She nodded and I realized Bennett and the other girl were no longer in the room. "Who's the girl?" I asked Theresa.

"Oh, Kali? She's Bennett's best friend, I guess. She came to his exercise class this morning. She's really nice." She walked into the kitchen and returned a minute later with a glass of water. "I'm going to shower. Enjoy the rest of your movie, if you actually end up watching it."

Once she left, I was back to being alone. Normally I didn't mind being by myself, but hearing the faint laughter and talking from Bennett's room bothered me. I wasn't too sure why. He had friends. Of course he did. I was just sort of feeling left out and I wasn't used feeling like I wanted to be included.

Eventually, part-way into a different movie, Bennett and his friend emerged from his room. Neither of them even looked at me as they headed for the door. Was this the way it was going to be between him and me from now on? Completely ignoring each other because we had sex once?

Granted, it's not like I knew any other way to act around someone I've slept with. If I happened to see them again, I'd go the other way. But this was different. Bennett and I were roommates. We had to talk to each other or else things will turn awkward fast. They already were awkward.

Bennett said goodbye to his friend and closed the door behind her. I was expecting him to just head back to his room, pretending I didn't exist again, but he sat down on the arm of the couch.

"Whatcha watching?" he asked. He was wearing another pair of really short shorts. How many of those did he own?

I took my eyes off his legs to look at his face. "Not really watching. It's just on." I felt like I should probably start watching what I put on one of these days, since I keep getting asked that question. I wasn't about to start now, though, since I had Bennett here wearing very little clothing. That view was better than any movie I could put on.

He watched the TV for a few seconds. There were lots of fighting and explosions. It looked like a big moment for the characters, not that I could tell.

"Interesting," Bennett said, looking back at me.

Neither of us said anything else. I let my eyes wander back to his exposed thighs. Last night was more than fun, although I doubted he'd be down to doing it again.

"If it bothers you," Bennett said, gesturing to his shorts, "I can go change." 

I shook my head, looking back at his face. "I've seen you naked. A little leg definitely doesn't bother me. Actually, I kind of like it."

He blushed, tucking his knees close to his chest. "I thought we weren't talking about that."

"Do you not want to?"

Bennett shrugged. "You're the one who's the expert. Have you ever been friends with someone you've hooked up with before?"

"No, and I've never lived with any of them, either. Usually, I don't even know their name. So this is new for me, too."

"Oh."

Silence fell between us again, the only sound was from the crying woman on the TV. The fight scene was over and now it must be the mourning period for whoever was lost during the fight. I almost wanted to turn it off, but that would make the silence between Bennett and me even worse.

Maybe he was right and we shouldn't talk about it. We can put the whole thing behind us and forget about it. Wouldn't that be the easiest option?

My only issue was that I think I liked Bennett way more than I should. Sleeping with him last night confirmed that. But then here he was wanting to forget it happened and move on, staying just friends. How weird was it that only a few days ago, Bennett was the one who needed a relationship when I did everything I could to avoid one, yet here we are with the opposite thoughts?

"I guess we should just forget about it," Bennett said, breaking the silence again. "I'm grateful it happened, but I don't think I ever need to do that again. Besides, I got the closure I needed from Tommy today too, so I'm doing quite okay right now."

I nodded, managing to keep my face straight. It wasn't the smile I should be giving him, but it wasn't showing any negative emotion either. "I'm glad." I was happy that he was doing better about his breakup, but that meant there was no chance we'd get back into bed together again. I knew it was a slim chance anyway, but at least there could have been a possibility. Now there was no chance, and that thought hurt.

Bennett stood up. "Well, thanks again for helping me last night. I really appreciate you doing that for me."

I nodded again and he disappeared back into his bedroom. This is why I hated feelings. Nothing good can ever come from them.