Chapter Two

The next morning I rose before everyone else in the household. Good thing I am able to wake up whenever I want, because I had to get out of here. If the Capitan found out I was from an orphanage, he would send me home... that was exactly what I did not want.

Diego had been kind enough to let me borrow his room while he slept on the couch downstairs. To repay him for his kindness, I made up the bed and cleaned his room a little to make sure it looked nice. He sure had a lot of books, and a beautiful guitar. I sure did love to read, but seeing them just made me want to leave more. I could not stay here, I needed to make my own life.

I hurried to his mirror, fixed my hair and snuck out of his room into the bright morning sunlight and down the stairs. To my great surprise, Don Alejandro, Diego's father, was in the courtyard, playing a game of chess with his son.

"Ah, look who is awake," Alejandro smiled kindly, both of them standing to greet me.

I tried not to look guilty as I smiled awkwardly and approached them. "I hope you found my room comfortable," Diego said.

I looked up at his handsome square face and his dark brown eyes. They were kind and gentle, but also had a hint of mischievousness in them. His hair was nicely styled, adding to his attractiveness.

I nodded. "Si, I wish I could repay you for your hospitality."

"No need, it is my pleasure to host a lovely woman such as yourself," Diego replied with the most handsome smile ever.

We both stared at each other for a few moments, not realizing it, until Alejandro cleared his throat. "Excuse me, but I do not think I ever got the chance to hear your name."

"Oh... Rosa," I answered, slightly embarrassed. I had been with these people for several hours and never told them my name...

"I am sorry to hear about what happened to you," he continued. "If you would like, I could personally escort you back to your home."

"No!" I said a bit too harshly, then quickly toned it down. "Sorry. I mean, no, gracias. I think I should speak with the Capitan before I start making plans of travel."

Alejandro glanced at his son with one eyebrow raised. "Right... well, if you need anything, just ask me."

I nodded in response, and then looked down at their game. "Oh, go ahead and finish. I just wanted to take a little walk around the rancho if that is all right."

"Walk? Go to the barn and ask one of the servants to saddle a horse for you," Alejandro chuckled, sitting back down. "Just do not go too far. I do not want you getting lost."

I nodded again. "Gracias, Senor."

Diego and I looked at each other for one more second before I hurried off to the stables. I only knew where they were because Diego put his horse away before bringing me into the hacienda last night. Well, I had been too afraid to leave his side. Now that I thought of it, it was most embarrassing.

A stable hand gladly helped me saddle a beautiful stallion to ride, and led him out of the stables for me. Just as I mounted, Diego came through the doorway and approached me. By the look on his face, I knew he suspected something was up with how I had acted. From what I had seen so far, this guy acted like he was just a simple man of books and music... but I had learned how to see passed an act, and could see more than just a simple, innocent man in him. He was very cunning, and not one to be fooled.

"Rosa," he said, stopping next to me and this beautiful chocolate brown stallion they let me use. "After what happened yesterday, I do not doubt those kidnappers are still out there. If you wait a moment, I will ride along with you and give you a tour of the rancho."