somevacation

"I'm really too high for this shit" I mumbled and leaned back, dropping french toast in my mouth.

I was so hungry that my stomach felt like a black hole.

I gathered up all my plates and went downstairs to the breakfast area to return my dishes.

But maybe, I could eat a little more.

So I filled up two plates and sat down in the dining area by myself.

"The early bird caught the worm?" A young guy asked me, setting out more trays of food.

"I don't want to think about worms while I eat. I have a weak stomach"

He gave me a friendly smile and moved to sit across from me.

"I'm here to get away from niggas" I informed, lifting a fork up to my face.

I focused my attention on it, and ate.

"Oh, I see. Sorry to bother you" He got up.

"That's a Lakeith Stanfield movie"

"Huh?"

"The dude from Atlanta and Get Out, Death Note, Dope-"

"Oh, him"

"Let's talk business" I suggested. "If I told you that I maaaaybe was a stripper, would just assume that I was a hoe? I'm not."

"Wouldn't even cross my mind"

I nodded and got up, deciding to go to my room.

"If you make this french toast, I love you" I scooped some more on my plate and left.

-

After a couple more days of not doing shit elsewhere, I found myself dragging my suitcase back on campus.

I caught sight of Jahir on the way to my dorm, so I turned around and went the other way.

"I'm not done talking to you" He popped up beside me anyways.

"You said what you said, I said what I said. I fucked somebody else and I hate you now"

I pulled at my suitcase faster, and he was no longer beside me.

It was just me and my lie.

I unlocked the door to my room five minutes later and took my shoes off.

A big pair of garden shears rested on the counter.

I heard something fall in my bedroom, and I rushed to go see what it was.

Corbin hanging from a noose in the middle of my ceiling.

I screamed out of pure shock and horror.

"Stop!"

He wheezed as his body swung.

I ran out of the room and came back, dragging a kitchen chair and holding the shears.

I stood up in the chair and slid in my own sweat.

I pulled him towards me so that he could stand, but he lifted his feet and grunted.

I screamed the whole time.

Even after I cut him down and pulled the rope away.

Even after he still showed signs of life.

I kept screaming and screaming and people broke into my apartment and they found us and did CPR and called the ambulance and brought him down to the lobby to wait.

A crowd formed, and I grabbed Corbin's hand and I dropped my head down onto him.

I could not stop.

They forced me away from him, but let me ride in the ambulance.

This broke me.

-