Chapter 10: Cold, but not frozen

Start from the beginning

❞Good night.❞ She said, smiling brightly.

I closed the door and leaned against it, taking a deep breath. Catherine stood up from the couch and looked at me. I could see she had a thousand questions, but she didn't ask any.

❞I-❞ I wanted to explain, but I didn't know how. ❞That was-❞

❞Who knocked on your door Lorenzo?❞ She asked while keeping calm.

❞Before I explain, I want you to know that I didn't know she would come here. I haven't seen her in years. Eight years.❞ Catherine knew whom I was talking about immediately.

Donna? What did she want?❞ She asked, a hint of pain and surprise in her voice.

❞I don't know. She wanted to- ...talk. I can't believe this.❞ I sighed. ❞I'm so sorry Catherine,
I really didn't want that to happen, I didn't know-❞

❞Don't be sorry. I believe you.❞ She gave me a light smile.

The fact that she believed me, that she trusted me- I was so thankful.

❞I can understand if you need time for yourself, but if you need a listener or if you just don't want to be alone,
I will stay.❞ She claimed calmly.

❞I couldn't appreciate it more. Really, Catherine. But I think it's best for me to be alone and just think.
To clear my mind.❞ She understood and nodded.

I helped her put on her coat, got her purse and opened the door. Somehow I didn't want her to leave. This day was better than the most in these past years. Donna really messed up my head. I really needed to sit down on the couch alone, watch the fireplace and think of ways to handle this situation.

Should I talk with Donna? Should I find out what she wanted, coming here? Did she deserve a second chance because she's the mother of my son? So many questions flying around in my mind.

❞Thank you for letting me spend time with you and Marco. I had a really nice time.❞
Catherine said as she stepped outside.

❞Thank you for coming. Again, I'm sorry it ended like this.❞

❞Don't be. And please, take your time. I understand that you need it. You don't have to feel like I'm stopping you from anything, I just want you to know that. And like I said, if you need a good listener or company, you have my number.❞ She added a warm smile, looking me in the eyes.

The lights made her blonde hair glow, looking so shiny and fluffy. Glittery snowflakes fell down on her soft hair,
almost as glittery as her teeth peeking through her smile.

❞Good night, Catherine.❞ I smiled at her.

❞Good night, Lorenzo.❞ She smiled at me.

And so, another day with her came to an end. She was walking towards her uber and I watched her till she got into the car. Before closing the cardoor, she looked at me and waved flirty, causing me to smile again. Waving back, the car drove away and I was left alone with my thoughts to myself.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Catherine