Chapter Forty-six: Christmas in Three Mile Bay

After that first struggle to sleep on the bed, Madison continued to need all the lights on until she thought to ask Terry for the angel in her apartment-- the tall Victorian angel guarding the two children crossing a damaged bridge. When it was placed on their dresser, it crowded with the second porcelain angel, but when both guardians were plugged in, their soft light was enough for Madison to calm herself and go over her verses. It wasn't so bright they kept Terry up at night, and all through it, he never complained.

All they'd been doing was snuggling though, and she knew he had to be missing her. By mid December, she had resorted to sleeping some nights on the floor so she and Terry could be close. She promised herself to not be defeated. She would keep trying.

As Christmas neared, the house became busier than usual while Madison and Izzy prepared for the holidays, and Terry and John kept up their hectic work pace. It became even busier when little kids wanted to watch.

Christmas cookies were in the oven, and as they baked, they filled the house with the spicy scent of gingerbread. They lured little children from their play to watch as Izzy and Madison set out wire racks on the countertops and table, and made them want to peek through the glass window on the oven door to see what was happening inside. More than once, they had to be warned not to get too close or their noses would be burned, and when the batch of gingerbread came out, the women had their undivided attention.

While Izzy arranged the cookie-cutter shapes on the wire racks, Madison rolled out more dough.

Lizzie popped up at Madison's side, and with Izzy's approval, the girl scooted in a chair and was given a small wad of dough to form as she liked. Madison cut out a gingerbread man, placed it on the metal sheet as Ruthie looked up pleadingly and Madison nodded for her to get another chair. It didn't take long for Debbie to join in, and soon small hands were busily forming and reshaping their cookies while laughter filled the kitchen. Madison kept cutting gingerbread men, then did several ginger-women, before moving on to trees and stars. There were so many cookie-cutters to choose from, it kept Madison busy doing ornaments, dogs dressed as carolers, and pretty snowflakes. The real stuff swirled in the sky every time Madison looked out the window-- a reminder of just how cold it was, and how much they were enjoying the warmth of the kitchen.

The next batch went in with the triplets clamoring to see their wads of dough. Then the process was repeated, and the women took turns setting out the cookies. While the girls waited for their creations to cool, it occurred to Madison that the triplets could wait and add frosting, but the thought of frosting on all those small hands made Madison shudder, and she willingly gave them their cookies when they cooled.

When the girls left, Madison repeated her thought to Izzy, and Izzy laughed.

"Now you're thinking like a mom."

The icing was as messy as Madison had feared, until she learned how to control the piping. Once she got the hang of it, she enjoyed making smiles on the ginger-people, dressing them in clothes, and writing the names of family members on the front. She paused to watch as Izzy outlined in different colors, then added sprinkles. She could do that too, and before she knew it, she was experimenting, and having more fun than she thought possible.

When Izzy stopped to watch, she gave Madison a slightly hesitant smile.

"I'm getting carried away, aren't I?" Madison stepped back and looked over her snowman, all covered in small swirls of white, and decked with a red and green scarf.

Izzy winced. "As long as you're having fun."

"But if I take this long with each cookie?"

"We're going to be here a long time," Izzy nodded.