Chapter Thirty-nine: Picking Up Jewels

Terry turned on the heater, made his way down the lane while Madison pulled the album from her coat. Mist gathered on the windshield, making Terry feel like he was driving through clouds hugging the ground. Though the neighborhood looked as if it had already tucked itself in for the night, Terry kept his speed low to avoid hitting anyone who might dart into the street. When it started to rain, he turned on the wipers.

"I can't believe he gave me this."

"That was nice of him," Terry nodded, not daring to take his eyes off the road. "Do you recognize any of the photos?"

"Kind of. I know Grandma, and Momma-- I know their faces. The places behind them seem familiar, like they're from a dream I'd forgotten about."

"Daylight's fading. Do you want me to turn on the overhead so you can see better?"

She shut the album, hugged it, and sat quiet.

The rain was growing heavier and it seemed she had a lot on her mind, but so did he. He wanted to top off their tank, make a call home before they started the drive back so Izzy wouldn't pray too hard when she saw it was raining and getting late. While night driving on wet roads didn't rank high on Terry's comfort level, he'd feel better knowing Izzy wasn't watching for them at the window. Terry passed a liquor store hanging out beside some houses, then saw a gas station up ahead, its glowing sign easily seen against the dark clouds.

"Need to use the restroom?" he asked. "Now's your chance."

Maddie shook her head, and put the album on the back seat. As though she needed a little distance between it and her, then sat back and closed her eyes.

"You did well, Maddie."

She smiled, and he hurried to take care of things so they could be on their way.

Rain pounded the hood above the station as Terry stood at the gas pump and breathed in the damp cold. Tim might be right, it could freeze later. Terry pumped the gas, got back in the jeep and found Maddie watching him.

"We'll be off in a moment." Terry pulled out his phone and called John, and wasn't at all surprised when John informed him that Izzy wanted Terry to be careful.

"And here I was, planning to drive on the wrong side of the road."

"Hey, I was just delivering the message."

"Tell Izzy careful is my middle name." Terry stuffed the gas receipt in his pocket, eager to get moving. "We've already had dinner, so if you haven't eaten, tell Izzy not to hold up on our account."

"I'll tell her."

"See you later, Buddy." Terry grinned, and hung up. "Delivering a message." Terry shook his head. "If she hadn't, John would've done it himself." Terry started to put the phone away, but Maddie reached for it, and Terry handed it over. "Do you think we'll ever be like that?" Terry asked, as he pulled away from the pump. "Know each other so well, we'll be able to finish each other's thoughts?" He glanced at Maddie, and she smiled before going to work on the phone.

A highly personal note, huh? Exactly when she planned to show him what all the secrecy was about, he had no idea, only that she'd said she would. Or at least that's what she'd implied. A question or two might clarify the when, but that would only make her nervous.

He could wait.

He turned up the heater, made his way to the Interstate, then settled back for the drive home.

The sky grew dark early, and the rain kept pouring, but visibility was good, and Terry had little trouble seeing the road. A bigger problem was dinner digesting in his stomach, and when he felt his eyes begin to grow heavy, he turned on the radio. The music made Maddie sit up a little straighter, for she had fallen asleep. She put the phone in her pocket, hugged herself in her coat, and before long, Terry had the sense she had drifted to sleep again. He adjusted the heater, and time crawled by like it always did on long drives when conversation was scarce. He was about to check the rear view mirror when a loud blast snapped his attention to the road.