Chapter Twenty-five: A Lot Like Coffee

On the drive home, that soft, warm touch helped keep Terry from thinking too hard. Those smooth fingers only held his hand, and yet his heart melted and puddled at Maddie's feet so much he wondered if she noticed. Now more than ever, he was falling soundly for Maddie, and the emotion that came with it only made his thoughts that much harder to take. That monster, that miserable excuse for a human being had kept her chained. In the basement. For "most of the time." And when he wasn't there, she starved. Anger flushed through Terry's veins. He wanted to hurt that man. He wanted it bad, and yet, there was that soft touch and his dark thoughts melted away.

Did Maddie know how wonderful she was? He wasn't making that up, and it wasn't his imagination. It was plain fact, sitting right there beside him, and all he could do was acknowledge its presence. Like admitting the moon reigned over the bay tonight, or that the stars were glowing their hearts out for them. They were tangibly real, just like her. She was wonderful, she was here, and she was sitting in his jeep.

The woman he'd been waiting all his life for, was here. He knew her name, knew the shape of her face and the way she smiled, the joy that came simply because she was here.

He told Maddie they were home, and glimpsed her closing her eyes like someone enjoying a perfect dream. With the moonlight on her face, she looked very much like a fairytale princess, a real live dream that reached for his hand when he had to pull away to park the jeep. The wonder he'd felt that first night when he saw her, filled him once again. He breathed in, shut off the engine and noted the light shining in the living room window.

"They waited up for us."

Maddie nodded. "Abby said they would."

"I still can't believe what you wrote." Terry shook his head and let Maddie reclaim his hand. "Those goals-- wow, Maddie. I've never been more stunned in my life." He thought it over and smiled. "I take that back." As he looked at her, he tried to interpret the quiet alarm filling her eyes as longing and not dread. "The first time I saw you, you took my breath away. You still do."

The grip on his hand loosened. She drew back, could no longer meet his gaze, and when she began to hug herself, Terry knew he'd said too much.

"I'm sorry, Maddie."

She gave a quick nod, but he wondered if she knew what he'd meant. That he was sorry for scaring her, but not for loving her. Not for that. Did Maddie even know he loved her? Unable to say more because it might drive her further into her shell, Terry pulled the keys from the ignition and tried to change the subject.

"Before we go inside, whatever we talked about in Carol's office, is private. I know I nearly tell John everything, but this... this is just between you and me."

Maddie nodded. "And Carol."

"Yes, and Carol." Terry smiled, thankful Maddie was still talking to him. He had to be more careful, to not get so lost in the moment that he forgot her needs.

Sucking in a deep breath, Terry located the water bottle, the manilla envelope, and pushed open the driver's side door. He wanted to get out of that jeep before he said or did something he'd really regret. Like tell Maddie that he was so much in love with her, he couldn't see straight. That he needed her, and couldn't wait another moment to ask her to marry him.

Knowing what her answer would be, Terry made up his mind to not ask until she was ready to say "yes." Hard as he struggled, he reigned in his emotions, and wished dearly that she didn't regard him with such huge eyes as she got out of the jeep.

He walked with Maddie to the house, dug the keys out of his pocket and prayed for help. She wouldn't stand next to him.

"Are we still good?" he asked.