Chapter Four: Clouds in September

To his amusement on Monday morning, Terry awoke to three little girls all proclaiming that today they didn't have preschool. Of course, they hadn't had school all summer long, but the fact that tomorrow marked their first day back to Wee Ones Christian Preschool, made it a special occasion for the triplets. Never mind Labor Day, today they had no school.

Labor Day. In all the fuss over his new houseguest, Terry had quite forgotten about the Labor Day barbeque. After all the plans John and Terry made for the party, all the expectations of a relaxing time on the beach, Terry didn't feel like celebrating. Not after yesterday.

When Terry went into the kitchen for breakfast, John and Izumi didn't look in the mood for a party, either. They sipped coffee in silence, letting the girls have their day off without adding any rain clouds to their sunshine. No mention of Madison at the kitchen table, no talk of hurting people or the things Terry knew John and Izumi were thinking.

The dishes cleared away, John and Terry went outside to get the barbeque ready for that afternoon. Only when they were alone, did John bring up the subject of Madison.

"Are you going to see her this morning?" John asked, as he and Terry hauled a basin firepit onto the beach.

Though half fearing what John might say about him getting too involved in someone else's troubles, Terry answered anyway. "I was thinking about it."

John moved the firepit over a few inches, stepped back, wiped his hands against his jeans. "Mind if I come with you?"

"She might act weird."

"I stand warned." John hefted one side of the picnic table while Terry lifted the other. "For all this talk about Madison, I'd like to meet her, get my own opinion of who she is. Izumi said Madison was a broken heart, hiding in a broken body, and that I'd understand what she meant when I saw Madison for myself."

"Don't expect too much," Terry said as they lowered the picnic table closer to the firepit. "She hides a lot of the time, and I can't get her to open up about where she came from, the people she knew who might be interested in her welfare. She said she doesn't have anyone but God, and unless it's proven otherwise, I have to believe she's telling the truth."

John gave a thoughtful look. "No one but God? That's an odd thing to say."

"That's what I thought." Terry pulled a list from his back pocket. "Even though everything appears to have been going against Madison, she still has hope. I believe that says a lot about her."

"Careful, Terry." John slanted him a sidelong glance as Terry checked off firepit and picnic table from the to-do list. "She's a stranger, and as such, it's better to treat her with a great deal of caution. Agreed?"

"I don't think she's dangerous, John."

John gave a wry smile. "Izumi shares your opinion. Whatever happened at your apartment yesterday, Izumi has stopped being as insistent about Madison's hasty departure."

Terry couldn't help smiling. "You'll understand when you see Madison."

"So I keep hearing." John took the list from Terry, looked it over before handing it back. "Do we visit your apartment before, or after, the run to the grocery store for the wieners?"

* * * *

The absolute quiet of the apartment didn't bother Madison. What did bother her, however, was the visit from the woman called Lauren-- Terry's building superintendent and very pushy neighbor. The woman had rung the doorbell with such tenacity, Madison felt no choice but to open the door. From the front step, Lauren welcomed the newcomer to the complex, and when she couldn't gain entrance, kept talking nonstop. Terry had told her about one of his friends using the apartment, and as one of his closest friends, Lauren had rushed over to make Madison welcome. Terry mentioned something about leaving Madison alone, but Lauren dismissed it as nonsense. Of course she must come and make Madison welcome, and of course she must have Madison over to dinner sometime soon. The door narrowed several inches more, but Lauren had stuck it out and finally extracted a "maybe" from Madison.