Meet Kerttu - Chapter 1

The day had finally come. I was meeting my suitors. There would be thirty-five of them. It was a little overwhelming with all the planning and all but still. I was going to be meeting my future husband! I did a giddy little dance.

"Kerttu," Mom chided. My mom was Queen Eadlyn. She had revolutionized the government and fashion world with ease. She still looked young despite the years of ruling and Dad's boring stories. She had helped me with everything from room arrangements to learning their names. It was very difficult. They were so many.

"Sorry, Mom," I apologized. "I'm just so excited!" I did my little dance again and she couldn't help but smile.

"I didn't miss anything did I?" Dad asked, a serene simper on his face. He was wearing a dark blue suit Mom had designed for him with pride and aplomb. He kissed mother on the cheek and their love for each other blossomed through.

"No, you're right on time," Mom sighed, leaning into the calm aura of my father.

"Ah, you guys are so cute!" I exclaimed. They chuckled, wrapping their arms tightly around each other. "Now it's time to get me some of that. Get out of here. Go on."

I hurried them out of the room when yet another bothersome family member came into the room. My younger sister, Amberly. She was named after our great grandmother. She was also an amazing queen. Both of them were actually but in different ways.

"What are you doing here?" Amberly questioned, holding a small box in her hands.

"I don't know. About to meet someone who will hopefully change my life. How bout you?"

"Oh, that's today?" I raised an eyebrow and she giggled. "I just came to wish you good luck and give you a little present." She happily gave me the box which I eagerly tore open.

It was an old picture. At Josie and Kaden's wedding. Mom was pregnant with Amberly, I was out and about, being crazy. The whole family was there. We hadn't been like that since Osten's wedding. I smiled at my amazing family before pulling her into a hug.

"Thank you," I whispered, squeezing her tightly.

"Okay, okay. Let me let you do your thing before I get emotional." She walked out the other door though I could see her dabbing away tears. Amberly was always high on hormones, I thought, laughing.

"Are you ready, miss?" a guard asked, his uniform well starched, matching his demeanor.

"Bring them in."