I waited behind a corner and stretched out my leg when I heard him approach, in hopes that I would be able to trip him, but he noticed my indentions at the last moment and stopped. He glanced to the side and his eyes met my dark and empty ones. '' Were you trying to follow me home, mister? Are you trying to get pepper-sprayed? ''

Detective Baekhyun found himself at a loss of words at first. He pulled up his scarf, trying to hide his surprise and buy himself some time to think of what to say. '' I was going to ask you if you're stalking me, but it seems like you beat me to it. Give me a second to think of another way to start this conversation. ''

'' How about apologising? '' I asked, raised my eyebrows and continued staring at him.

He cringed and mumbled: '' Do I have to? Do you really want to see me suffer-... Nevermind. You don't have to answer that. I know that seeing me suffer would probably make you really happy... Can't you just come back to the police station tomorrow? ''

I looked down and saw him holding a scarf in my direction. He saw what happened when I was trying to pay for my item, so he bought it for me instead. The scarf was brand new, but not the same one that I picked. It was more expensive and warmer.

He ran through his dark hair with his hand when he saw me looking at it. '' I don't know who you are buying it for, but I saved them from a fashion catastrophe by getting a nicer one. One that won't freeze up and become as warm as a piece of cardboard with the first rain or snow. ''

I didn't say anything until one of the nearby street lights flickered and made me snap out of my thoughts. Then I quickly snatched the scarf from Baekhyun's hands and stuffed it in my backpack. I was going to walk away without another word, but he stepped in front of me again and blocked my way. '' Not so fast. I think that scarf earns me some answers. What happened to your face? I don't see you for one day and you look like you got hit by a train... Did you get hit by a train? What were you doing on train tracks? You know that's dangerous, right? ''

I narrowed my eyes and seriously replied: '' I didn't get hit by a train, idiot. I know how to ride the train for free and when to keep off the tracks. It's the first thing that you learn when you are poor. ''

'' You need to stop confessing your criminal offences to me, '' he muttered, cringed and adverted his eyes at the ground.

I stuck my hands in my pockets and continued studying his expression. '' I made a mistake and I paid the price for it. I got drunk with the wrong people and wasn't as careful as I should've been. Someone took that as a chance to get their revenge and jumped on me while I was on my way home through the tunnels... Tch, stupid idiot thought that I had some money in my pockets... I have people who hate me. Very much. ''

I purposely told him the truth, just to see how he would react. I didn't want words of pity and I was curious to see if he would try to convince me that things would get better. I always hated blind lies like that, so I was glad when he scratched the back of his head and nervously murmured: '' You have people who hate you? Don't we all? I mean, I have you. But now you are making me wonder if I should be more careful while I walk around by myself at night. I mean, I usually just glare at people that I hate behind their backs and try to be as passive aggressive as I can, but I see now that you think it's normal to choose the more... aggressive aggressive approach. ''

The corner of my mouth twitched in amusement at the sound of his words, then I quickly got serious again. He also grinned before raising an eyebrow and wondering: '' It's late. Do you want to go eat something? ''

'' Not hungry. ''

That was a lie, my stomach was growling the whole day, but sadly I already had other plans for that night. I figured that I ran in to Baekhyun in that neighbourhood because he was headed somewhere nearby and there was a similar reason why I was there too. I was on my way to a hospital, so that I could steal some of the medical supplies that doctor Sunkyung needed for Chanyeol. I didn't want to do it and the guilt that I felt was absolutely horrible, but I had no choice.