four

Would you really always come back for me?

━━━━━━

FOUR

doctor Sunkyung's illegal clinic for hopeless souls

━━━━━━

'' A time will come, when you will have nowhere else to run. ''

I still clearly remembered the police officer that told me those words. It happened a little less than four years ago, when I first ran away from the strip club where I grew up and then the brothel where I almost ended up together with my friend. I was running for so long and my feet hurt, but I didn't stop. I knew that if I would stop running, I would die.

I started living in one of the cage homes of the underground and I desperately needed to find a way to make money. Chanyeol and I met by accident, when I bumped in to him on my way back from the toilet that I shared with the twenty other people that lived in the same apartment. He was a young drug dealer back then, barely crawling on to the scene and I started my career by helping him. We didn't really know what we were doing, but we were fast learners and one of the biggest lessons was almost getting busted by the police.

That night the cop let us go, but I was never going to forget the absolute pity, sorrow and shame that I saw in his eyes. He wasn't wrong when he said that one day we'll have nowhere else to run. And we both knew what came after that for people like Chanyeol and I. Prison, an overdose, suicide... Nothing nice anyway. There was no hope for a magical salvation and a better life.

I was trying to force myself to suppress those memories again, but it was tough. These days, it was all starting to come back to me.

The cashier was giving me suspicious looks while I was placing my food down in front of her and I didn't snap out of my thoughts until she told me the amount that I owed her and I realised that I didn't have enough money. My eyes slightly widened, then I glanced down at the water, bandages, a scarf and some food that I bought to take back to Chanyeol. I stared at it for a few moments, then I grabbed the scarf and held it back towards her. '' Can you please take this off the bill? ''

I was hoping that the scarf would keep him warm now that the temperatures were getting colder, but it looked like he would have no choice but to be happy with wearing one of my old sweaters.

I glanced at the mirror above the cashier and cringed.

Fuck.

I thought I saw someone familiar, but I was hoping that I was wrong.

The cashier seemed almost reluctant to take the wrinkled bills that I pulled out of my pocket and she forced a smile on her face before I rushed out of her store. I swung my backpack on my shoulder and took a few quick steps down the street. I glanced at a street mirror and sure enough, I clearly saw the familiar individual that followed me out of the convenience store. He saw me speed up, but instead of taking that as a sign that I didn't want to talk to him, he also started walking faster and I realised that I had no choice but to confront him.