prologue

You aren't safe. Not here, not anywhere else. 

━━━━━━

━━━━━━

PROLOGUE

a diamond in the filth

━━━━━━

Run. 

He saw you.

Don't do it.

Run!

I didn't run. Instead, I continued standing there. Frozen. The fear made me feel like there was ice travelling through my bones and after a few moments, I had to remind myself to breathe. A drop of sweat trailed down from the side of my forehead and I finally managed to force myself to move. My hand shot up and I pulled the hood of my jacket on my head, like that would help with anything. Nevertheless, it was a habit that followed me everywhere I went. Hide from any overly curious gazes, keep your head lowered. Pretend that you are invisible.

It was important to stay invisible, but this time, it didn't work.

He looked at you.

This is the first time that a target looked directly in to your eyes.

Did he know?

The heroin packet suddenly felt heavy in my pocket. He was an unusual target and the order came from an even more surprising client. I didn't like messing with cops, but I couldn't say no. I was having my doubts now, but I already got the money, so there was no turning back.

Now it was either I did my job or someone would come after me too.

I took a puff from my cigarette at the same time as he took a sip of his drink.

He was waiting for someone and he had yet to realise that they won't show up. His informant was already dead, killed by whichever method that they chose this time. Forcing cement down their throat, tying something to their legs and throwing them in the Han river, selling their organs on the black market... The possibilities were endless, but there was no doubt that they put him in enough pain to make him regret ever being born. This cop was lucky that all he got was me. I wasn't nice, but I was nice-er. At least that was what I liked to tell myself.

A job was a job. I was doing mine, just like he was doing his. We were both walking on thin ice.

The smoke from my cigarette was fading in the air, laced with the smell of cheap perfume, spilled alcohol and vomit. Dangling lightbulbs were illuminating the concrete walls of the bar, covered with mould and graffiti from one time when a group of young thugs managed to break in. Plastic chairs, found in the trash on different parts of the city, were decorating the dark space. I was one of the few individuals that were sitting there that late evening and the glass of beer in front of me stayed untouched. This wasn't a place where you would go for the nice drinks or food and I couldn't help it but to wonder if the cop knew that he was surrounded by criminals. A serial killer was to his left, a convicted thief was working behind the bar and I was there too.