Chapter Thirty-One

Virgil pressed his nose to Namor's cheek, not wanting to leave him. He smiled a broken smile and reached up to pet his ear. "I'll be okay, Virge," he murmured. "But he needs your help. Go... I'm not going anywhere."

The anxious Side purred and brushed against his cheek lovingly before pulling away, taking one last look at him with his wide brown eyes. The dark prince gave him another smile and nodded toward the giant snake that was battling Roman. He gave a nod and turned to face it with determination flowing through his veins. He could do this.

Okay, okay, he thought as he took a deep breath. Focus on everything that makes you Anxiety. I'm a fight or flight response. I know how the flight part works, but now I want to fight.

Virgil looked up at the battle as he heard a cry of pain. The snake had managed to just barely catch the prince's arm, skimming his skin as he clamped down on his suit. He raised him high into the air, making the anxious Side below gasp in horror. What could Roman do if he was dropped? There was no way he could stop himself, the magic in the Nightmare Kingdom wasn't very cooperative with his.

The kitten watched as the snake tried to shake him off, whipping his head violently. A strange, tense feeling washed over him. All his muscles clenched up and he felt a tingling in his fur. He could feel something happening, so he closed his eyes, and didn't fight it.

Roman was dangling from the jaws of Deceit, frantically trying to find a firmer way to hold on. Blood from the shallow cuts the caused by the snake's sharp fangs was seeping into the white of his suit, permanently staining it. He raised his sword despite being disoriented, slicing toward the snake's head. He managed to catch his nostril, slicing through the scaly skin. The snake hissed and reared his head enough to send the prince falling toward the ground helplessly, eyes widening as a sense of powerlessness washed over him. The wind was rushing past his face, whipping at his hair as he fell toward the ground.

This is really it, he thought, tears pricking his eyes. I'm really gonna be destroyed here. Oh god, I never got to kiss Virgil. I never got to fix things between me and Namor. I never got to tell either of them I love them.

He squeezed his eyes closed as hope of survival left. He was certain he was going to hit the ground any minute now. However, a much different sensation happened. Instead of landing on the ground with bone crushing force, he landed on something soft and large that was clearly running.

Roman blinked his eyes open, confused as to how he wasn't dead. He looked beneath him, seeing black fur with deep purple stripes. His eyes widened as he realized what it was attached to. He was on the back of a giant tiger.

"Huh?" he managed as he held on tight to the beast's shoulder fur. He got its attention, making it turn to look at him over his shoulder. There was something familiar about its shimmering brown eyes and the way there were three deliberate purple stripes under each of them, alluding to eye bags, or, eye shadow. "Virgil?!"

He let out a rumbling huff of confirmation as he turned back to face forward. The tiger skidded back around to face the giant snake as he recovered. Deceit focused on the prince on the large cat's back, his eyes widening as he grinned and flicked his tongue. "Wow, Virgil, I'm impressed," he hissed, sounding amused. "I hate to break it to you, but just a prince on the back of a giant tiger is still not going to beat me."

Virgil narrowed his eyes at him, growling. We'll see about that when I bury my teeth into your throat, he thought to himself as he tensed, ready to launch himself at the snake.

"Hey," a voice said above him. He looked over his shoulder as Roman leaned forward, petting the side of his neck soothingly. The prince grinned a little as he let out a rumbling purr-like sound and leaned into his touch. "Ready?"

The tiger nodded as the creative Side drew his sword again and readied to face the snake once more.