Chapter Thirty

Virgil's heart was pounding in his chest as his feet hit the ground. He panted, looking over his shoulder at the massive snake chasing him with blazing yellow eyes. Oh god, this was a bad plan, he thought, looking around in a panic for somewhere to run. How am I supposed to outrun him like this?

He dodged to the right as the snake lunged at him, tumbling into the perfectly kept bushes with a yowl. His ankle had twisted underneath him, causing a dull pain to shoot up his leg as he scrambled to his feet. The snake had missed and was shaking his head as he tried to recover. The anxious kitten hurried away, taking advantage of Deceit not knowing his surroundings to get away before he could see which way he went. 

The princes were following close behind, skidding to a halt as they found the snake. Deceit was turning around, hissing as he saw them. "Deceit!" Roman yelled, raising his shimmering sword. "We're not finished, you snake!"

"Neither are we!" Namor agreed, raising his own sword. 

The snake bared his fangs, lunging toward them. The princes split apart and began to slice at him, but the snake was fast and dodged their attacks as easily as they dodged his. Deceit was baring down on Roman as the dark prince sneaked up behind him, but the snake sensed him and whipped around to grab him with his fangs. Namor let out a frighten gasp as he was pulled into the air, the snake's teeth digging into his sides. Deceit was grinning as he threw him toward the ground, sending him flying into a boulder and causing him to crumple limply to the ground. 

"NAMOR!" the creative Side screamed, anguish in his voice as he looked at the unconscious prince. 

Deceit cackled above him. "I warned him not to mess with me! He's not even a real Side! How could he even in possibly fought me?" he hissed, turning to bare down on the prince. He was trembling as he faced him again. He couldn't tell if the dark prince was still breathing from his position. "So now you're gonna try fight me on your own in the Nightmare Kingdom? That's hilarious!"

Virgil was panting, trying to put as much distance between him and the snake, but as he heard the sounds of Roman and Namor, he skidded to a halt. He could hear fighting and then a scream from the creative Side. He broke into a run toward the fight, eyes widening as they landed on the unconscious dark prince. 

"Deceit, stop this!" Roman yelled, glowing as he tried to channel his powers of the Imagination. 

"Never!" he hissed response. 

The two of them launched back into battle as the kitten ran across the clearing to Namor. He sniffed him worriedly, seeing the ground beneath him turning red with blood. Oh god, oh god, I've got do something! Roman needs help! he thought, looking toward the creative Side. What can I do?! I'm just a kitten!

"Virgil?" 

He jumped, looking back at the dark prince. He was awake, looking at him with half lidded eyes weren't very focused on him. The cat moved forward quickly, kneeling down to his level. "V-Virgil," he breathed, reaching out. He leaned into his touch, purring worriedly. "You... you have to help him."

The kitten looked at him in confusion, silently asking how. "Your cat form," he said, struggling to speak through the amount of pain he was in. "You turn into a small kitten in order to keep your anxiety from harming others... but if you channel trying to hurt others, it may have the reverse effect on your form."

Virgil's eyes widened as he thought about his words. He'd never thought about what would happen if he tried to focus on hurting others, because he never wanted to hurt someone else. "P-Please, Virgil," Namor pleaded, wincing. "Help him."