Chapter Twenty-Two

Virgil swallowed as they continued to walk. They'd been exploring the castle gardens for about thirty minutes and the sky wasn't looking pretty. Flashes of heat lightning lit up the dark clouds constantly, and the distant rumbles of thunder were steadily growing louder as the storm approached. The anxious Side didn't admit it, but he hoped it would rain on their way back. He absolutely loved the feeling of raindrops on his skin. 

They were mostly quiet as they walked, both of them being too nervous to say something to the other that might make the situation weird. It was Namor that broke it as they paused in front of a patch of nightshade. 

"So, Virgil, how long do you plan on staying with us?" he said, nodding toward the castle. 

He bit down on his bottom lip, thinking about it. The dark prince had shown him nothing but kindness and hospitality, and he was starting to get to know him better. "Maybe another day or two wouldn't hurt," he thought out loud, blushing as he realized it hadn't been in his head. Namor's face lit up as he smiled at the ground and nodded in acknowledgment. 

"I hope that I can make them a pleasant couple days then," he said as they continued. 

It was another ten minutes before the anxious Side felt a large drop of water land on his cheek, making him flinch in surprise. The surprise only last a moment before a smile crossed his lips. He looked up with a little giggle as more rain started to land on him. The dark prince by his side looked at him in surprise, an expression of pure awe on his face. 

Virgil grinned up at the sky as thunder rumbled and the rain cascaded down. Namor smiled breathlessly at him, not even caring as the water soaked into his suit. It wasn't until the lightning cracked right above their heads that he mentioned finding cover.

"Virgil, we should get to shelter," he told him, nodding toward a gazebo a little further down the path. He nodded in agreement, a slight bounce in his step as they hurried toward it. Once they were sheltered, Namor looked him up and down. "You're shivering."

"I'm not cold," he said with a shrug. 

The dark prince gave him a skeptical look. "Your lips are blue," he pointed out with a slightly smirk. He shrugged again and sat down with a peaceful sigh. Rubbing his hands together, the Prince of Nightmares concentrated on creating something that would warm him up. He snapped his fingers and a purple scarf appeared in his hands. Virgil looked at him with astonishment as he frowned. "This is much too simple."

Before the anxious Side could say anything to protest, Namor conjured up some needle and thread, sitting down cross legged on the bench as he began to work. He worked efficiently and quickly, nodding to himself about five minutes later and dismissing the needle and thread with a wave of his hand. "That's better," he said with a smile, holding up the new scarf. A gasp escaped his lips. The once plain purple scarf was now covered in hand embroidered black roses and trees that mirrored those he'd seen in the garden earlier.

"Wow," Virgil breathed, taking the scarf from him and running his fingers along the beautiful stitches. "This... This is beautiful, thank you, Namor."

The dark prince nodded with a smile as he wrapped it around his neck. They fell quiet then, watching the rain fall down around them peacefully. The anxious Side glanced at the prince next to him, gaze traveling down to his hand limply resting against the bench. "Hey Namor?" he asked softly, earning a hum of acknowledgment. "Is there a reason you refuse to touch me?"

Namor tensed, looking at him in shock before flinching away from his gaze. "Y-Yes, I... I can't touch someone who's afraid of me without causing them immense panic," he explained quietly, confirming his suspicions. "It's really the worst part about being me. I can't... there's nobody around this place that doesn't fear me, and it isn't as if Roman comes and visits often. I'd appreciate if he checked up on me once and a while but I suppose he's just forgotten what we..."

He trailed off, looking distant for a moment before snapping back into reality with a sigh.

"I'm not close enough to Deceit to even want a hug from that slippery snake, so I can't even remember the last time I've made real contact with another person," he finished, staring down at his feet solemnly. "Everyone's always afraid of me."

"I'm not..." Virgil replied, voice practically a whisper.

The dark prince flinched and froze as he felt something warm land on his hand. He looked down at the anxious Side's hand on his own, watching, entranced as he laced their fingers together. Namor smiled with pure disbelief on his face. He was smiling too, blushing a little as he looked out at the rain again, perfectly content to just sit there, holding his hand.