Chapter Nineteen

Jumping down from his white stallion, Roman was particularly tense as he stopped in front of the border. The border between dreams and nightmares. Somewhere over that boundary was his love, or rather the Side he loved. Virgil was out there, possibly in pain.

"Well, I'm never going to be able to find him if I don't go over there, right Crystal?" he said to the horse. She whinnied in response, backing away from the border as he took a step forward. "Go back to the stables girl. I'll be back before you know it."

The horse nodded, trotting off back the way they came. Roman took a deep breath, stepping over the dark black line in the earth. The green grass on the dream side gradually faded to pale dirt. Said dirt was grey on the other side of the line, the grass luscious but deep green with touches of black. Cold air fell over him, making him exhale tensely. 

Okay, breathe Roman, he told himself as he started forward. You can handle this. You've been to Namor's castle before, and Virgil needs you, now more than ever.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't my favorite prince," a familiar smooth voice interrupted his thoughts. He drew his sword, whipping in the voice's direction with incredible accuracy and reflexes. Deceit raised his gloved hands in mock surrender as he smirked at him. "Well, it's horrible to see you as well, Princey."

The prince glared at him, pointing his sword toward him more deliberately. "Don't call me that," he snapped. "What are you doing here? You should be in the Dark Mind Palace, not in the Imagination."

"The Prince of Nightmares has great hospitality," the snake-like Side said with a grin, making Roman's blood boil. "I'm not his only guest either."

"Explain," he demanded as Deceit took a wide circle in the clearing they were in. 

He chuckled, not evilly, but there were clear malicious undertones to his voice. "He found your little emo," he said, grinning deviously. The creative Side's eyes widened as his suspicions were confirmed. "A little birdie told me that Namor has a bit of a crush on him. I can't imagine what he plans to do with him. Last I saw him he was going into his room."

"Silence you snake!" Roman snapped, feeling disgust and rage racing through system. The lying Side held his hands up innocently, looking triumphant. "Do you have a part in this? If you had anything to do with this Deceit, I swear-"

"I assure you, I had nothing to do with your little emo's abduction," he promised. "I came all this way to inform you of his presence in Namor's castle. I'm concerned about what the dark prince plans to do with him. I fear he's going to manipulate his mind."

The prince watched him with narrow eyes, not fully believing him. "Fine, now begone. I need to get to his palace preferably within a couple days, and with no mount it's going to take me longer," he snapped. "Now go! Don't interrupt me again you slippery snake."

Deceit bowed submissively, backing into the shadows. His eye glowed yellow before he disappeared completely, leaving Roman to sigh heavily and return his sword to his sheath. 

The snake-like Side's words unnerved him. Namor and Virgil together in an intimate area? Not being sure of why the dark prince had stolen him in the first place wasn't helping with his concerns. What if that was his plan? To seduce and use him? To manipulate him into falling in love with him?

Virgil has to be too smart for that, he told himself with a head shake. He's the one so quick to call Stockholm Syndrome, surely he'd know better than to fall in love with a man that has kidnapped him and is keeping him against his will.

Thinking this helped him calm down a little, but his steps were still quickened as his thoughts returned to what Deceit had said.