Chapter Sixteen

"Virgil, I believe you're familiar with Deceit," Namor said as he gestured across the table.

The anxious Side hadn't noticed him when he entered the dining room, feeling his chest tighten a little at the sight of him. Deceit had his typical smirk on his face, like he knew a joke he was leaving everyone out of. "Y-Yes, we've been acquainted," Virgil understated, dropping his gaze.

"It gets quite lonely here, so he decided to help me run things," the dark prince explained. Though his voice was light, he could see a slight anger in his gaze when he looked back at the deceitful Side. There was a pause as the two stared at each other before Namor turned back to him. "Now Virgil, I want to be as clear as I can. Despite your arrival being under... less than ideal circumstances," he shot a definitive glare at Deceit, "you are not a prisoner here. If you wish to leave, simply say the word and I'll escort you to Roman's palace on the other side myself. If you decide you'd like to stay, you may for however long you'd like, even if it's just a day or two. I'd be honored and if there's anything I can do for you, you just need to ask."

The anxious Side looked at him in surprise, feeling a little safer. He didn't trust him yet, knowing better than to get ahead of himself. Knowing it was Deceit who'd brought him here through violence made more sense, and it explained why the voice outside the door was familiar and uncaring. Virgil glanced in the snake-like Side's direction, feeling uneasy with his presence. The two of them weren't exactly on good terms. The fact that Deceit had directly disregarded Namor's request to bring him here diplomatically and peacefully worried him and made him anxious. He couldn't rule out that the dark prince might be acting either; he'd only been here for a day, spending most of that time 'asleep' in bed. Namor had been nothing but nice to him, offering him a change of clean clothes, food, and now he was offering to take him home, but he couldn't determine his motives with a couple nice gestures.

"Thank you," he said, realizing he needed to respond to what the dark prince said. "I suppose I need to get some rest... and think about it."

The second part of the statement came out of his mouth before he could think. Virgil blinked down at his plate in surprise and shock at himself. Namor's face lit up slightly as he nodded, clearly happy that he at least wanted to stay the night.

Well, let's see how dinner tonight goes, and I'll make my decision tomorrow morning about whether or not I want to stay for a day or two, he thought. I kind of... want to get to know Namor a little...

"So, Virgil, what do you enjoy doing?" the dark prince asked him, sounding genuinely intrigued and eager to hear his response. The anxious Side bit his lip, not used to people actually asking about his interests. "Tell anything you'd like about yourself."

"He's an artist, an anxious mess, and has the ability to-"

Deceit started before Namor's hand landed on the table with more force that would typically necessary. Virgil jumped a little, tensing up and feeling exposed by the snake-like Side's words. He also feared what he was about to say: the ability to what?

"I asked Virgil, Deceit," he said forcefully, glaring at him with narrowed eyes. The lying Side stared him down, unfazed by his anger as he arched an eyebrow.

The anxious Side shrunk back in his chair a little, feeling uncomfortable and scared at the sudden anger he displayed. "I-I um, I don't think I-I'm as hungry as I th-thought," he stammered, standing up and heading for the door. "I think I'll just turn in for the night, th-thank you for the offer."

He quickly hurried out of the room, back towards his room he'd been given when there was a second pair of footsteps behind him.

"Virgil, wait!" Namor called, a slight desperation in his voice that made him turn and allow him to catch up to him. "I'm sorry, about him and my temper, and what he said. That was all so wrong and unacceptable on both my part and his. I- I'm sorry if I scared you, I didn't mean to."

He was looking down at his hands, looking ashamed and sad. Virgil suddenly feel sympathy for him, knowing what it felt like to accidentally hurt or scare someone when you had good intentions. "I understand, Deceit and I have some history he clearly hasn't let go of," he said vaguely, shifting on his feet. "I don't blame you."

"I can have the chefs bring you dinner to your room if you'd like. You should eat, it's not healthy to miss so many meals in one day, considering you slept through breakfast and lunch," the dark prince offered, testing out a hesitant smile.

The anxious Side let himself smile a little, nodding. "Thank you, I appreciate that Namor," he said, noticing a slight pause in his breathing when he said his name.

"I bid you goodnight then, I'll do my best to prevent any of your dreams from becoming nightmares," he said with a small bow and a smile before turning and leaving him to enter his room feeling flustered, confused, and more worried about Deceit than the dark prince's intentions.