Chapter Twenty

When Virgil woke up the next morning, he found that it wasn't because sunlight was pouring through the window. His body just naturally woke up, feeling well rested. What confused him was how dark it was, despite it supposedly being morning. He got out of bed and stretched as he made his way toward the balcony connected to his room. Pulling the curtains back, his eyes widened. The sky was dark and covered with practically black clouds.

"Whoa," he breathed, hoping it would rain. A small smile crossed his face as he looked out at the cloudiness. He jumped at a sudden knock at his door, making him turn around on instinct. Realizing it was just someone knocking, he took a deep breath and called out. "Yes?"

"Virgil? May- May I come in?" the voice of the dark prince asked.

The anxious Side felt his cheeks warm as he ran his fingers through his hair quickly. "Yeah, yeah, you can come in," he replied nervously. Namor opened the door, smiling shyly. Virgil rubbed the back of his neck. "Um, morning..."

"Good morning, uh, how- how did you sleep?" he asked, worrying on his bottom lip with his teeth.

"Um, pretty well actually," the anxious Side told him bashfully. He remembered their conversation while he was in cat form and how he had been deliberately trying to keep him from getting nightmares. "It took me a bit to fall asleep, but that's just in my nature."

Namor nodded in understanding. "So... so no nightmares?" he asked hopefully. He shook his head, feigning a slightly confused expression, as if he didn't know what he was talking about. The dark prince exhaled with what seemed like relief painted across his expression. "Oh, thank god, that's good."

When he looked up to see Virgil staring at him curiously, his pale cheeks flushed a dark fade of red. "It's just, I didn't want you to have nightmares," he tried to explain. "Nightmares can get intense here, so I didn't want you to have to go through that..."

The anxious Side felt his own face warm at his words, remembering his shivering and the exhausted look on his face from the night before. "O-Oh, um, well- thanks?" he tried, hoping to come across as clueless. "So... um..."

"Would you like to come with me on a walk?" Namor blurted, blushing furiously. Virgil stared at him in surprise before his gaze traveled between the prince and the window displaying the dark clouds. "I mean- I would like it if you joined me on a small tour of the castle grounds. I think that you might find that they're more pleasant than you might think. It could rain soon, so if you'd like to we'll have to head down there soon.. so would you?"

He shifted on his foot, wondering if he should go with him or go home. He could simply say he'd rather return home and Namor could take him there rather than for a leisurely stroll through his castle and his gardens. Did he want to go home quite yet? He could see hope shimmering in the dark prince's eyes, feeling his heart clench. He didn't want to hurt his feelings, especially since he'd been nothing but kind, and clearly wanted to get to know him better if their conversation last night told him anything.

"Um... sure," Virgil murmured, looking down at his fidgeting hands to realize he was in his pajamas. A blush crossed his cheeks as he cleared his throat. "Would you mind waiting a moment for me to get changed?"

"Oh! Of course! My apologies," he said quickly, nodding to him as he exited the room hastily.

He smiled to himself once he was left alone, moving toward the wardrobe to pull out one of the black prince-style suits inside. Of course he planned to return to the Mind Palace soon, but it couldn't hurt to bond a little with Namor. They clearly had a lot in common and understood each other. What was the harm in making a new friend?