Chapter Three

I woke up early the next day to get myself ready for school. The election's coming up but I can't run for president until I'm on my senior year. My days will be busy and my schedule would be tight due to the campaign, I wonder if I'd even have time to slack off.

Our school uniform is simple; a white polo shirt, thin navy blue ribbon tied around the collar, and a long navy blue skirt that goes above the knees. I'm a conservative person so I like my skirt below the knee length. I don't understand why girls are trying to make it shorter. It doesn't look formal at all.

As I ran downstairs, my mom greeted me for breakfast and I saw Luke eating a separate healthy meal. I sat on the dining chair and I began to pick some bread and poured sugar on my milk. Breakfast had never been this awkward, I don't think I could even swallow with Lucius in front of me.

"You okay hun?" asked Dad as he noticed I'm being hesitant to eat. I scratched my forehead and smiled timidly.

He's eating in front of me. Why do I have to be embarrassed? I told myself. I ate my bread as fast as I could then drank my milk. I no longer wanted to be in the table with him, it makes me feel breathless.

As soon as I'm done, I ran back to my room to get my things. While packing my bag, I suddenly flinched when I saw my mom standing on the door looking skeptical.

"What is going on with you Helena Parker Gray?" my mom teased and with the looks on her face, I bet she already noticed my attraction towards Lucius.

Still, she can't possibly read my mind so I'll just deny. "W-why?" I asked nervously, I really don't want to hear what she'd say.

"Do you like Lucius?" She asked and my face drops as I heard. I knew she'd say that.

I laughed as I slowly shook my head, "What...what are you saying?" I asked and mom walked towards me and gripped both of my shoulders, her eyes are on mine.

"Do you like him?" she repeated and she's so close I could smell the shower gel she's using.

I swallowed as I pulled away from her then I rubbed the area she had gripped and looked at her like a guilty puppy, "What if I do? Will you be angry?" I asked.

My mom smiled wryly before she closes the door. "Okay, Helena" she uttered, her hands held tightly on the knob, "Dear, you are very obvious" she said then she turns to me, "Your movement, your eyes...everything and I'm not telling you it's wrong to like someone, don't let it be him. It'll hurt you" she advised. This was the first time I heard my mom sounded so concern and also the first time I told her I liked someone.

"Why would it hurt me?" I asked. It'll be great to hear what mom had to say other than trusting my own reasons.

"He does drugs. Your father said that last year was the worst, he is not normal" she answered, "He is here because he is undergoing treatment. Keep that in mind okay?" She said and I nodded weakly.

He is not normal. Right, he isn't. He's probably the worst person in the world. "But mom" I uttered, "Why'd you allow Lucius to stay if you think he isn't normal?" I asked.

"I've come to know his mother was a great friend. A great friend of ours" she replied and she's headed towards the door before I called her once again.

"Can we not tell dad about this?" I said and mom smiled at me while she nods. She left the room and I started to feel weak. In many ways I considered myself as strong because I conquered my bullies but when it comes to hearing my own heart I felt like it is wrong in many sense.

I headed downstairs towards the front door ready for school. Dad was doing yoga with Luke at the living room while mom's also preparing for work.

I stared at him briefly and he looked like an angel with his eyes closed, his legs crossed, and his back relaxed. But no, he is no angel. He's a devil within. I closed the front door and started running; running from the feelings I shouldn't feel.