Chapter Four

The carriage was close to pulling up at the palace when I turned to Hua Yi, a slight trace of panic in my eyes.

"Hua Yi," I said, worried. "Explain to me all the relations of the royal family."

"All the relations?" Her eyebrows were pulled up together, and she looked stressed. "There are a lot, Miss."

"At least some!" I begged. I had forgotten to read up upon the mysterious players of the royal castle while they were busy polishing me in the dressing room.

"Ah, okay." Hua Yi nodded.

"Emperor Huang is the Emperor of this reign. Before him it was his elder brother, Huang Ye. He died of misery ten years ago when his three children were slaughtered in a kidnapping in the forest behind the palace."

I nodded, biting my lip. What sort of dark past did this royal family have...?

"Emperor Huang Ye had released the information and declared a country-wide search for the murderer, but the murderer was never found. Shortly after that, Huang Ye died and Emperor Huang took his seat.

"Emperor Huang has five notable children. The first prince - mysterious and powerful, first-born son of the Empress. When he had turned sixteen he succeeded the position of general of the East flank of the army, and is known as a talented god of war. He is also well-known by all the Buddhist and Taoist scholars of the land, however nobody knows how he even came into contact with these scholars. When he was younger, he was less admired and doted on by his parents. Back then, everybody was all about Huang Feng, Huang Ye's first born son, before Huang Feng was murdered.

"Emperor Huang's second son - son of the Imperial Concubine, Lei Hua. He turns seventeen this year. He is quite spoiled because at the time he was born, Emperor Huang was infatuated with Lei Hua. It continued for years after. The second son is known to be a playful, irresponsible prince, but he has renown over his quick, sarcastic wit, handsome looks, and explosive skill at the sword.

"Emperor Huang's first daughter, is not actually his blood daughter. She is the second daughter of Huang Ye, one of his four children. She was the only child not born to Huang Ye's Empress, and instead to his Royal Concubine. She is nineteen this year, an old age for an unmarried princess, but she wears it well. She is clever but cold, which some admire and some detest. Emperor Huang claims that he has not found a worthy husband for her - which makes sense as well, since the expectations of the first princess are very high. Emperor Huang adopted her after her father had died.

"His third son, Huang Lu Qin, another son of the Imperial Concubine. He is a peace-loving scholarly prince who has a weak constitution. Yet, his knowledge is vast and he is widely respected. Lu Qin has many friends and connections around the empire. The Emperor of Zhou, the nearby empire, awarded him a precious painting for beating him at a game of chess. He is at sixteen years of age.

"The last of his five children is the second princess, Huang Mu Dong. She is only fifteen, and known as an innocent and timid princess. She was born to the Empress through a very labored birth, and is always pale, thin, and cold. She has no known talents.

"Emperor Huang has four wives - his Empress, Xu Li, his Imperial Concubine, Lei Hua, and two other noble ladies rarely named. We will most likely see the entire imperial family tonight, including their special guests. And his mother, Empress Dowager is a hard-to-please lady who rarely smiles since the decease of her older son. Emperor Huang throws this party for her every year, but she does not enjoy it.

"Then there's Bai Long -" Hua Yi winked at me here, I rolled my eyes, "- he is of a lower noble family but beloved by the royal family for his talents. He is also taken under the wing of the first prince, but they are more unofficially friends. Ge Yu Jing, a noble lady of a great background. She is sweet, and the royal family favor her as well. She is the first princess' close friend. And then there is Hong Wei Fu, who is of high noble birth and the friend of the second prince."