Prolouge

"Fei Hong..." my boyfriend, my first love of this life, looked at me apologetically. We were standing on the top of a building, with the wind swirling around us. The lights of the city glimmered below, twinkling in tandem with the stars above us. My heart swelled with love, my eyes brighter and my soul full in the tender romantic moment.

"I'm sorry... but I'm in love with Yu Yuan."

My eyes widened with shock, and my heart dropped to stone.

Yu Yuan, my sister. She appeared from behind my boyfriend, clinging onto his arm, an innocent expression on her face, but she was smirking slightly.

"Fei Hong," she called out in a high, sweet voice. "Don't be mad at Zhang Young. It's not his fault, it's this sister's fault," she began crying, soft silver tears that dripped down her face. Zhang Young comfortingly caressed her cheek, looking at her like how he looked at me not so long ago.

"You... you're for real?" I speak up for the first time, feeling rage simmer in my veins. Zhang Young snaps his head up, eyes blazing with a protective aura.

"Do not blame Yu Yuan!" He yelled. "I was the one who fell for her."

"You would betray your older sister like this?" My voice cracked as I accused Yu Yuan. She looked guilty for a split second before she pulled tighter on Zhang Young's clothing and got haughty again.

"Yu Yuan is sorry, Fei Hong! But why can't Yu Yuan love? Zhang Young is the one I adore!"

"Why can't you love?" I said, my eyes narrowing. "Don't you find yourself selfish, Yu Yuan? You want everything?"

"What do you mean?" Yu Yuan's eyes widened. "Yu Yuan does not have everything! Let Yu Yuan have Zhang Young -"

"Shut it, you gold-digging wolf!" I snapped at her. Yu Yuan took a step back. Perhaps my authority as an elder sister still had some power over her.

I had never blown up like this. I had never gotten so emotional, especially in front of my family. If anything ever bothered me, I ignored it while gritting my teeth.

However, Zhang Young was the one man I loved.

My little sister was getting audacious.

"Stop it, Fei Hong!" Zhang Young looked alarmed as well, he had never seen me so angry. "Your sister is kind, intelligent, and virtuous! I love her for many pure reasons! Who are you to come in between us?!"

"You think whatever you want, you can have it?" I sneered at Yu Yuan, ignoring Zhang Young.

"Yu Yuan does not have everything!" Yu Yuan shook her head, silver tears escaping again. I don't know how she does it. Snakes are unable to cry.

"Do you want me to tell you the truth?" I continue, eyes blazing. "You are not special, Yu Yuan. I got full marks on my university entrance exam and H University offered me a full scholarship."

Yu Yuan's eyes widened. H University was the most influential and number one university in the country. They rarely offered scholarships. My parents struggled every year to pay for Yu Yuan's expensive tuition there.

"I was number one student in high school as well, however I asked to remain anonymous."

"I - it was you!" Yu Yuan exclaimed. In our high school, she was number two. Unwaveringly, always. I was sometimes surprised by how bad her scores were, she was unable to ever beat me.

"You only got second place because I helped you study," I mocked her. "Do you really think this older sister was less intelligent than you?"

Yu Yuan's eyes flashed. My family had assumed that my scores were so low I was unable to get on the top one hundred leaderboard for tests. Yu Yuan had grown so arrogant during our years in high school, it was unbearable. Her eyes had grown full of pity for me, when in reality she was like a frog in a well, only seeing a little portion of the sky.

This wolf! Thinking she was so high and mighty, when in reality she was nothing!

"I decided not to go to H University because our parents asked me not to." I continued. This story had become familiar to me, as familiar as the lines on my palm. "They wanted you to shine brilliantly. And I let you shine brilliantly, because it did not matter to me either way. Who cares if my little sister outshone me, because I knew who was truly accomplished."

Yu Yuan's eyes filled with malice. "You have deceived me!" She exclaimed.

"The student that scored top on graduate university exams, pulling my university, Q University up by twenty rankings..."

I watched her face morph into one of surprise and hatred.

I smirked. "That was me. The presentation you made last week which you got the best score in the class, I wrote that for you. Remember you thought you had forgotten to do it? Also, the nights where you went partying with your friends, I wrote your papers. Our parents wanted you to shine. When you began to barely pass by your classes at the end of last year, they begged me to help." I shrugged. "And why not? I was learning all about your course. It was very interesting, a shame it was wasted on you. You thought you became a top student again just by partying and sliding into the pants of different men every night?"

Zhang Young's expression became unpleasant.

"No. I was there, your guardian angel. I talked to W Company and sent them an essay and now you have an internship. You thought you got it because they looked into H University and you were pretty and seemed smart? No. J Modeling also recruited me and I sent you instead. They were disappointed, however I did one photoshoot in order for you to keep your place there. You seemed so happy."

Yu Yuan's face was getting redder and redder, her expression turning sour.

"Remember last month when my face somehow made it upon the front cover of J Modeling magazine? You and our parents were all confused, right? Well, now you know why."

"Why!" Yu Yuan roared, full of anger. "Why would you do all this, and tell me now?!"

"Our parents thought you were the perfect daughter," I said, glaring at her. She shrunk under my glacial gaze. "Kind, thoughtful, sweet. They wanted you to do well, and..." I glanced at her up and down, pity now frosting my stare. "I didn't mind letting you have the spotlight."

Yu Yuan's eyes blazed with betrayal and shock. Betrayal! What a load of sh*t coming from her! She dared to feel betrayed by me!

"Of course, our parents did not know you were sneaking out every night meeting different men," I sighed. "I helped you with that, too."

"Stop!" Yu Yuan screamed. Her eyes were dark with rage and guilt. Zhang Young flinched away from her.

I smirked. My work here was done. The weak light I had spotlighted, by becoming the shadow, had been extinguished.

"How dare you!" Yu Yuan exclaimed, eyes full of dark anger. She let go of Zhang Young and ran towards me, face full of malice. My eyes widened. She was before me in a second, grabbing my arms and pushing me back in her tall black heels. I tottered back. She continued to push me, her sharp fingers digging into my arms.

"Yu Yuan!" Zhang Young called out in worry.

"You're lying, aren't you?!" She demanded, looking more insane than ever. "You're lying, aren't you, Fei Hong!?"

I blinked, and the calm expression reappeared on my face. "Do I look like I'm lying?"

"Ugh!" Yu Yuan seethed. "You scum of a sister! You've been laughing at me behind your back all along!"

"Me? I'm a scum?" I laughed, heartbroken. "Says you, you boyfriend-thief!"

"Is that the one thing I have above you?!" Yu Yuan screamed.

"I gave you everything!" I yell. "You wanted to be the light - I made you the light!"

"I don't need you!" Yu Yuan exclaimed. "I don't need you to be the light!"

She pushed me one last time, and I hadn't even felt myself falling until her face began growing farther and farther away.

Oh. I had almost forgotten that I was on the top of a building.

As I drew closer to the light, the wind swirling around me, I closed my eyes, wondering if this was how my life ended. Unfinished. Unaccomplished.

All this time, what had I been doing up until now?